Pt 9

It took us a couple of hours to reach the boardwalk. We spent the time listening to music with all of the windows down and sunroof open. Palm trees and sandy hills. The scenery passing by was pretty, but I couldn't argue that the boy in the driver's seat was much prettier.

His car was automatic, but his hand lingered on the stick. Every few minutes, his fingers inched closer to mine. Eventually, I grabbed his hand and flipped his palm upwards. I begun tracing each of his fingers with my own. After, I intertwined my fingers with his, pressing them into his knuckle. He squeezed back and rubbed my hand with his thumb. I lifted my hand, carrying his with it, and placed it on my leg. A soft and warm touch. I leaned my head back and watched the plains turn into cities. 

We parked in a lot a little ways away from the beach. All the other parking options were ridiculously expensive and we didn't mind the walk. Soobin got especially excited once we started heading towards the beach. Our flip flops snapped against the sandy concrete with every step. 

We reached the boardwalk. Crowded and lively. An intoxicating atmosphere. We walked down a ramp, taking off our sandals to sink our feet into the hot sand. The ocean roared in the distance. White foam reflected the sun's rays. The air was fresh and salty. There weren't a lot of people on the beach, since it was only Monday. Because of this, we found a spot close to the water, along the border of damp and dry sand. We took off our backpacks.

After setting up an umbrella and towels, I took off my outer clothes. Soobin fidgeted with his shirt, pulling it upwards over his head. Slight indentations of muscles. I nervously looked to the ground, folding my hands. He approached me and held them. I looked up at him, but I was distracted by his shoulders.

"S-sorry," I stammered a bit.

"Don't apologize!" he squeezed my palms, "You can look at me, I'm yours."

Still holding his hands, I ran towards the ocean. With every step we took, sand puffed into the air. The sun was beginning to set. The orange hue from the sky glistened in the water. Toes splashing. Almost instantly, Soobin's hands wrapped around my thighs and he lifted me up, carrying me into the sea. He hoisted me up onto his hips and held my back. 

 I saw the sun reflected in his eyes. Those sparkling eyes. His smile. Placing my hands on his cheeks, I felt for his familiar dimple and pulled his face close to mine. Velvet lips. Stuck like Velcro. Two puzzle pieces. 

Suddenly, he lowered into the water. I wrapped my arms around his neck, elbows resting on his shoulders. His hands moved to my waist, bare skin. Close. Closer than we had ever been before. Waves splashed, water filling the small crevices between us. He moved down, carrying kisses to my collarbone. I laced my fingers through his hair. Soft, edges damp from the water. My legs were pretzeled around him underneath the surface. I leaned my head back and floated, hair flowing with the waves. He moved forwards, hugging me closer. Abruptly, he tripped and stumbled forwards, releasing me. A drop-off. His arms began frantically swaying in the water and legs kicked.

"Aahh!" he yelped out, "I-I can't- I'm not-!"

"Hold on!" I wrapped my arms around his torso and kicked, swimming towards shallower waters. Once he got his footing, I released him, "are you okay?"

"Yeah, sorry," he started walking out of the water, kicking the waves. I followed behind him, "let me just grab something."

He sat under the umbrella and reached into his backpack, pulling out a lump of plastic and unfolding it.

"I brought this just in case," He held it up. It was a unicorn floatie, complete with a rainbow mane and golden horn. He felt for the hole, pinched it, breathed deeply, and began puffing air into it. His expression made me laugh. I sat down next to him. His shoulders were rising and falling. A few minutes passed. 

"Done!" he clasped the hole shut and stood up, reaching his hand out. I took it, and we ran back into the water. Our feet sunk into the soft sand. Soobin lifted the unicorn over his head through the hole and rested his arms on the sides. His legs started kicking under the water, expression focused. I went under and swam inside the floatie, inches away. I came up and rubbed the water out of my eyes.

"You have to promise to share," I smiled, hugging him tightly and resting my head on his chest.