Pt 18

Oh shoot. I gently pressed the break. I had been going 15 mph over the speed limit. I turned the volume down on my phone, aux cord making static as I picked it up. I sighed in annoyance at the interruption.

I flicked my turn signal on and drove down Soobin's street and up his short driveway. His main front door was open, but the glass door was closed. Because of this, I saw him sitting on the stairs just a ways in. I pressed the wheel lightly and he looked up. An instant smile. He stood before someone walked next to him. His mom. She gave him a kiss on the cheek and handed him a basket. Afterwards, she held the door open. He walked out and down a step.

She waved at me for a moment with a smile and I gave a small wave back. Soobin clicked the car door handle open and crouched inside.

"Hey," he smiled sweetly.

"Hi," I beamed as he sat down and closed the door.

++

I carefully pulled into a parking spot, Soobin's hand leaving my bare thigh.

"Do you have everything in the back?" He asked softly.

"Yeah," I popped the trunk and stepped out. He followed and lifted it. Inside was a basket and a plaid blanket. He grabbed them along with his own basket.

"Don't you need help?" I said, worried.

"Nah," he was strained and out of breath, "I'm okay."

I looked at him doubtfully and grabbed my basket, "u-huh, sure, Superman."

He smiled and closed the trunk with a click.

I took a deep breath. Fresh air, no breeze. It was incredibly sunny, only a few clouds sprinkled throughout the blue. Surprisingly, there weren't many people. A few families with children playing on a playground. Loud, squeaky swings.

We walked across a wooden bridge over a secluded river.

Soobin was a small distance behind at first as he usually was, but he eventually caught up next to me. I saw a few hikers walking the trails of the forest.

"Does there look good?" I pointed to a grassy hillside.

"Sure," he nodded.

Once we reached the spot, he laid down the blanket and I placed the baskets on top of it. I opened them and pulled out our snacks. Fruits and some sandwiches. Plus a few cans of soda.

Afterwards, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, taking in the feeling. I heard Soobin grab a few things and crack open a coke. Then, a sip. Then, a pause. Suddenly, I felt his cool fingers cover and wrap around mine.

"I met your parents yesterday," I said with a smile, opening my eyes.

"I know," his expression was focused and relaxed, "they tell me everything, especially my mom."

At that moment, I remembered what she had said the day before. My mind wandered and suddenly I saw him wearing the tux, dancing with me.

"What's wrong?" He noticed.

"Ah-" I reached for a watermelon slice, "nothing, just. . . I'm really excited for tomorrow, and Friday."

"Oh!" Soobin cringed, "about that-"

My eyes flashed open.

"No-no-no, it's nothing bad!" He flipped my hand over, thumb pressing into my palm nervously, "It's just, Yeonjun called me this morning. He thinks we should probably practice a bit more before tomorrow, and since I work all day, he said today might be best."

"Oh, that's okay!" I said cheerfully, "it's good that you practice! Not that- not you of course, you're perfect, but- you know what I mean," I laughed.

"I'm not perfect," he smiled and nudged me, "not yet, at least."

"Hmm," I smiled and rested my head on his shoulder, "well you sound pretty great to me."

We ate in silence for a few minutes, listening to the children play and birds chirping. Then, suddenly, a puppy was barking.

It was a golden retriever that had just skipped out of the woods with its owner. It spotted Soobin and I and instantly approached us.

"Ahh cute!" Soobin said excitedly, giving it a few pets.

"Sorry about that!" The man ran up to us.

"No worries! We love puppies," I smiled, feeling its soft fur underneath my fingertips, "what's its name?"

"His name is Bruno," he smiled.

"Bruno!" Soobin called. The puppy didn't respond. He must have been too young to recognize his name. Soobin puffed up his cheeks and started blowing air out of his mouth. He had a frustrated expression on his face.

"Ugh!" He grumbled, "I wish I could whistle."

"It's okay," I laughed and hit him playfully, "I can't whistle either."

I parted my lips slightly and blew, but nothing. He giggled as I scrunched my nose.

"Come on, Bruno," the man patted his knees and Bruno turned to run to him. It was absolutely adorable.

"Well that was great," Soobin looked back at me with sparkling eyes. I nodded. At that moment, his phone buzzed.

He reached into his pocket and pulled it out. I leaned away a bit.

"Ugh," he grumbled, "they're starting early."

"Oh- do you wanna get going?" I said solemnly.

"Probably should," he murmured.

We gathered up our things and walked back to the car.

"Want me to drive you straight to Tae's?" I asked as I opened my door.

"Sure!" Soobin sat down, "All of my things should be there already."

"Okay," I started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. Taehyun's house was a little ways away in the nicer upper part of town. We were there in about 10 minutes or so. Windows down and a hot summer breeze. Even now my heart still flutters when Soobin pushes his bangs back.

We pulled into the driveway. Luckily, no one was waiting in the door for Soobin to arrive. I didn't know who had already arrived nor who still was on the way. I clicked my seatbelt off. Soobin was typing away at something. When he stopped, I reached over and turned his head towards mine. I leaned in and our eyes closed.

"Hey!" a familiar voice.

"Beomgyu!" Soobin yelled.