Pt 13

For a Saturday, work was surprisingly slow. Boss complained that a new fair had just opened up: a competitor. A few groups of people passed by every now and then, but Beomgyu and I mostly sat around all day. He was surprisingly giddy and stared at his cell phone for hours, typing away at something.

"You talking to someone?" I smiled mischievously. He looked up and returned a smirk.

"Perhaps."

I saw Soobin a few times across the way, but he was busy helping Huening install some new ice cream tubs. Sometimes he would leave the truck and roam around the fairgrounds, but I always lost sight of him and he never visited me. I assumed he was busy with something else. There was a moment when he caught my gaze and blew me a kiss. I reached my hand out subtly and caught it with a blushed smile. Sure it was corny, but it was Soobin.

Because of the slow work day, Beomgyu and I could leave early. He disappeared within a few minutes, but I took my time and changed out of my work clothes. Normally I would dress pretty comfortably after work, but tonight I had plans. I put on a simple tight-fitting shirt tucked into a pleated skirt. Afterwards, I skipped over to Soobin's truck. He had just stepped out and was wearing a white button up dress shirt with a black blazer. He had black slacks with a belt and some glossy shoes.

"Look at you!" I smiled. Eye candy.

"I have to impress them, right?" He smiled. His dimples.

"Of course," I reached and took his hand.

We walked out of the fair and approached my car. A soft summer breeze brushed through the fields. Crickets were singing and lightning bugs flickered in the tall grass. I unlocked the doors and we sat inside. Soobin's long legs were a bit squished in the small seat, but he tried to hide his discomfort.

"No windows tonight?" I put the keys in the ignition.

"Nope," Soobin slicked his hair back against his head, eyebrows pursed as he checked himself in the sun visor's mirror, "I've been maintaining this look all day."

"Sounds good, Uncle Jesse," I laughed, shifting the gears into drive.

The car rumbled across the dirt roads until I drove out the main gates and onto the paved streets. Soobin turned on our "Summer Rush" playlist, full of songs that we both loved, perfect for any drive. After a couple of minutes, I glanced at him and noticed he was tapping his foot, staring out the window. His knee was rising and falling anxiously.

"Hey," I reached over and placed my hand to stop it. He flinched a bit and looked at me, "hey, don't worry too much, okay?"

He took a deep breath and said in a small voice, "Okay."

++

"I have to warn you," I pulled into my driveway.

"They're crazy?" His mouth curled into a worried smile, teeth peeking through.

I turned my head over to him quickly, "a bit," I teased.

"It's going to be fine," Soobin recited, "even if they are crazy."

"Gee thanks," I laughed, turning off the car.

We walked up to the side door. I paused briefly for a moment and turned the knob. My mom was right there in the kitchen when we walked in.

"Hello!" she said excitedly, "Soobin, right?"

"Yes!" Soobin smiled, hands folded neatly, "Choi Soobin, Ma'am."

"Y/N," she paused, "your father is outside grilling the steaks."

"Steak?!" I exclaimed, "Ah it's been so long!"

"Well this is a special occasion," she reached and pulled a tray out of the oven. Buttered rolls. When Soobin saw them his eyes glistened.

"Don't start drooling," I whispered and nudged him, "but they are pretty fantastic."

As we ate, my family wouldn't stop interrogating him about his life. Soobin seemed relaxed, save for a few moments of panic when he had to answer a question and his mouth was full. I had never brought a boy home to meet my family before, and this was definitely enlightening. I had never seen them so relentless.

"So, Soobin," my dad continued, "you sticking with this ice cream business for a while?"

"-Dad!" I hissed.

"Oh dear, give the poor boy have a rest, would you?" my mom scolded.

"Alright, alright," he leaned back, "I'm just teasing. He seems like a nice boy."

Soobin's eyes glanced over to me quickly.

"We have some ice cream in the fridge if. . ." my mom's voice drifted. Soobin's eyes suddenly opened wide, sparkling in anticipation.

"Yes, please, mom," I laughed softly.

++

"So?"

"Not so bad," Soobin smiled, wind rushing through his hair.

I sighed tiredly, turning into his neighborhood, "What a night."

"Hey," he looked over, "I was talking with the guys earlier today. We're gonna practice tomorrow at Taehyun's house, if you want to-"

"Yes!" I thought of the polaroid of Soobin on the drums, confident and incredibly handsome. I nodded, "Yes, I'll be there."

"I'll text you tomorrow," we pulled up to his house.

"Okay," I shifted to park and turned to look at him, waiting.

"Okay," he imitated my voice, clipping his seat belt off and wrapping his palm across my cheek to my neck, pulling me closer. Eyes closed. I cupped his face. Soft peach-like skin underneath my fingertips. I touched his lips with my thumb gently before catching them with my own. His button nose grazed mine. Just then, the front house lights flashed on. Soobin pulled away instantly.

"I have to go," he stared, "I still haven't-"

"It's okay. I better meet them soon, though," I teased with a smile.

"You will," he mumbled, "promise."