Pt 15

Even though the fair was closed on Mondays, Beomgyu and I were still called in to do some stocking and training. Supposedly we were expanding the menu. I arrived at 8:00 sharp, the morning sun making the sky bright and air sticky. Boss was walking up to the entrance at the same time as me, making a phone call and looking incredibly stressed.

I met up with Beomgyu in front of the truck, nose stuffed in his phone as usual. I instinctively glanced towards MOA Cones. The windows were shut and the truck was quiet. All of the sudden, my phone buzzed in my pocket.

Just as I went to reach for it, boss came over and started addressing Beomgyu and I. At that point, I was occupied for the rest of the day. Hair frizzing, laughing, working with Beomgyu. It was enjoyable for the first few hours, but once it got darker, we were drowsy. We added funnel cakes to our menu, and the smell of them lingered on my clothes. We hadn't worn our uniforms, so I was stuck sitting in that scent. I got off at about 9:00 pm. Pitch black breezy fields.

As I was leaving the fairgrounds and walking to my car, I finally had the chance to check my phone.

Hey, did you want to hang out today? Maybe meet my parents or something?? I mentioned you a bit and now they won't stop pestering me >.<

I sighed in disappointment, pulling my hair tie out and reaching for my keys.

I'm so sorry, Soobs, I was stuck at work all day :( I would love to meet them, I'm really sorry I couldn't today

I opened the door and sat down, putting the keys into the ignition. A buzz.

No worries!<3 it's okay! I know it's late, but would you want to do anything tonight? Just missing you a little

Heart fluttering. An unwanted headache.

Ah, I would, but I'm just so tired. It was a long day :'(

Heartbreak.

Oh! That's okay, I should probably get some sleep too, good-night sweetheart ^3^

Sweetheart?!?

If you're gonna call me sweetheart then I'm calling you honey bunny -.-

Soobs<3 is typing. . .

Hehe okay I can be that :))

++

I laid down in my bed after my shower, hair wrapped up in a towel and pajamas sticking to my still wet skin.

I grabbed my phone and started swiping through my gallery. Surprisingly, I had no photos of Soobin. I guess we had been too caught up in each other to actually take the time to capture our memories. I unwrapped my hair and turned off the lights. For about a half an hour, I stared at my twinkling yellow fairy lights, fading on and off slowly. A bit restless. Finally, I reached for my phone.

Hey, I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight, not yet. Wanna go for a drive?

About 10 minutes of pointless scrolling, a slight hope. A notification on the top of my screen. I tapped it instantly.

I'll be there in 30 mins, are you hungry?

Starving :(

Okay, I have an idea. Just look for me through your window.

++

I had never snuck out of the house before, but I felt pretty okay since I had heard my parents go to bed a while ago. I changed out of my pajamas into a more suitable outfit and brushed my hair out. I opened my window and pulled up my chair, leaning my elbows against the windowsill and resting my cheek in my palm. The stars were so bright. The moon was full. Suddenly, the soft purr of an engine. As he got closer, he turned his lights off. Then he parked and opened the door. Converse crunching on the grass as he approached. I stood up.

"Hey, Romeo," I called softly. He smiled and jogged back to his car. Opening the truck, he pulled out a ladder. I couldn't help but laugh. He struggled to carry it out, brows furrowed. A faint yellow glow from the streetlights. He propped it up on the ground below my window, being careful to not make too much noise. He gave it a little push to check its stability, then started stepping up. I straightened my arms on the windowsill, leaning with my head tilted as he reached the top.

"Hi Juliet," he whispered, leaning his face towards mine. That wonderful, velvety touch again. He reached one of his hands up through my hair and behind my neck. A shake and then a jolt. He fearfully grabbed the ladder before he could fall.

"Careful!" I murmured.

"Sorry," he laughed with a shudder and reached for my hand, "ready?"

++

"Okay, a little higher," I stared into my phone screen. Soobin, sitting across from me, held the plate of fries up close to his face and made a funny-looking excited expression. His jaw dropped into a smile and he shook his head slightly, eyes wide open, looking into the camera. I tapped the screen and placed the phone down on the table, looking to see how it turned out. He looked unbelievably adorable, "It's about time," I smiled, putting my phone away.

"I still have these," Soobin took out his phone and showed the back. He had a clear phone case, and inside was the polaroid where he caught me staring at him.

"Aww," I said instinctively, sinking into my chair.

"Here!" Soobin pushed the tray of fries into the center of the table. I grabbed a couple and started munching on them. Soobin quickly got up and ran to the counter, grabbing a few napkins. He placed them on our table and sat down, "Good?" he asked.

"Mhm," I nodded and swallowed, taking a sip of my shake.

"I have some news!" he smiled excitedly, fingers intertwined, "We got the gig on Thursday!"

"No way!" my eyes lit up, "at the fair?!"

"Yeah!" he grabbed a fry, "we're playing in that big field by the arcade!"

"Oh-" I flushed and chuckled, looking down, "by the bridge?"

Soobin laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his head, ears turning red, "yeah, the bridge."

"I have news too! Well," I paused, "it's something I want to do, but I don't know if you'd be. . ."

"Probably," he nodded happily and grabbed his shake.

"There's a dance," I paused and shrugged, "It's this Friday. All my friends were talking about it. I don't know, I thought it might be-"

"Sounds fun," he looked up at me, eyes sparkling, "did you need me to dress up like a prince?"

"Maybe just a tux," I leaned forwards playfully.

"Okay, but you're still going to be my princess, right?"

"I suppose I can do that," I picked up a fry, but just as I was about to put it in my mouth, my fingers slipped and it went flying at Soobin. He flinched and it hit the ground.

"Hey!" The man at the counter spoke, "you better pick that up!"

Soobin turned back to me and smirked, grabbing a fry and throwing it at me. I gasped and reached for another, laughing.

"You two, cut it out!" The man yelled again.

I ignored him and threw it anyway.

"That's it!" He started walking around the counter towards us. We stood up right away.

"Run!" Soobin yelled with a huge, maniacally wonderful smile on his face.