Part 11: Prince Hayden

I was in the library, watching Calista looking around the shelves for all the books she had wanted to read for the day.

Beside me was Prince Hayden, already halfway done with the book he was reading. I watched him carefully as I remembered that I have a mission.

OK, to call it a mission would be an overstatement but my curiosity about the whisper I heard on the day of the lunch meeting with Princess Katrina and Prince Leonard still lingers in my mind.

"Sister! What would you like to read?"

Calista was at the second level of the library, peering down the ledge as she called out to me.

"Anything with romance would suffice!

I called back. Let me remind you, I'm not fond of books. I don't really know what kind of hobbies I do have but books are definitely not one of them.

I had enough of books honestly, as my past life flashed before my eyes again. The stacks of books on my left and right of all the educations I needed to get to be the Duchess.

It had been a while that I had a flashback of my life before I was able to relive the moment again.

"What are you thinking about? You look like you're in pain."

Prince Hayden suddenly spoke up. The book he was reading was closed and he was eyeing me. I must have had a weird look on my face for him to ask me that question.

"Oh, no. It is nothing."

I quickly tried to cover up my pained look as Calista came with a bunch of books in her arms.

"Just pick one. I shall brew some tea for us!"

Just like that, Calista left the library, making way to the kitchen. One thing I've learned about Calista is that she would rather brew her own tea if she is being accompanied by someone else. In this case, me and Prince Hayden.

Truthfully, I didn't know about this since I was not close to her in the past life. It took me a while to notice small stuff about my own sister. I sighed, gaining once again the attention from the Prince.

"Do you need to talk about something?"

I do actually, I wanted to say but I bit back the words. I don't think it was the appropriate time yet. He would definitely get suspicious if I ask now when our friendship haven't been build yet.

I opted to shake my head and scanned through the tower of books that Calista have brought for me. I choose one, without much thought and just read the first page.

Calista came back, carrying a silver tray with her favourite set of cups on it and an assortment of dessert. Once she set it down, she began pouring tea into the cups.

I took a whiff of the tea and smelt roses. I knew she had brew my favourite tea. It also had seemed to be once of the tea she enjoyed while reading books on a lazy afternoon like this.

-♧-

The sun was already setting.

I was more than half done with the book I had chosen to read. We had tea brewed two more times and had a refill of the desserts on the tray.

Somewhere in the middle of it all, Prince Hayden had fallen asleep on the long sofa that I had given up on sitting, due to how uncomfortable it was. I opted to sit on the smaller sofa, opposite Calista.

The soft snores filled the library as I finally made up my mind to stop reading for the day. The book I had chosen was too interesting.

"I think I shall continue in my room. I'll see you later for dinner."

I said to Calista who looked up from her book briefly to wish me goodbye.

"Sure, I think it is time for us to go take a rest too."

As she said that, she glanced at Prince Hayden and nodded. I smiled in agreement at how leisurely the Prince fell asleep on the sofa in the Duke's home.

I waited for Calista to wake the Prince. Once he was awake, and looking confused, he got ready to leave the Residence. Maids were called in to clean up the tray while the butler had called for Prince Hayden's carriage.

Calista went ahead to her room, moaning about her aching neck from reading too long. So in her stead, I was the one to see the Prince off.

I saw this as an opportunity to inform him that I wished to be close friends with him but deep down, I think Calista had a different plan. I saw the shine in her eyes as she waved me to see the Prince off.

I laughed at her attempt. What a cute sister I have!

"Did something amuse you?"

Prince Hayden asked as we waited in the foyer.

"Actually...I have something to tell you. I wished to know you better. Since I heard so much fascinating facts about you."

He had never seem so confused in his life but he smiled at me and said nothing. We were just staring at each other, getting lost in a mood that appeared from nowhere.

When the butler announced that his carriage arrived, he turned, not even looking back at me who curtsy, and left in such a hurry. I stood there, feeling my face heating up from the interaction.

"What just happened?!"

I screamed, shocking the butler who was standing behind me. I meekly apologised when I noticed him and ran inside towards my room.

I did nothing else but laze on my bed, replaying the scene all over again in my head, until the maid called for dinner.

I can't seem to focus right now. I kept thinking about what had just happened between the Prince and I.

Getting ready also didn't feel that long since I wasn't paying much attention to what was happening around me. My maids didn't even try to snap me out from idling since know that if I was paying attention to them, it would take much longer to get ready.

Soon, I left my room and proceed to the dining hall. Hopeful that I won't think about what just happened between me and Prince Hayden.

-♧-

Author's note:
Felt like a hot minute since I've updated. Also, in case you cannot see, I'm actually team Hayden. My initial though was to pair Ashley and Hayden up since Hayden was neutral with Ashley before she relive her second life. If you read this kind of manhwa, you know the characters hardly involved in the main plot (the first life) will be the male lead, so this felt like that right? But we literally have 4 male lead and the main female lead had changed from Calista to Ashley, so now I just wonder what will happen 🤔😇

Anyways, thanks for reading and I'll see you in the next chapter...hopefully very soon!

-♧-