Part 20: Assassin

The next morning, I woke up feeling upset. Louis's actions took a toll on both Calista and me. Even dinner last night didn't feel right. It was painfully obvious that Louis was avoiding both of us: either out of guilt or anger, I'm not sure which.

He was also good at masking his emotions though because father and everyone else didn't realise his actions, which I'm thankful for because I didn't want the engagement to be ruined.

Thinking about the engagement, I groaned. Indeed I'm very happy for both Princess Katrina and Prince Leonard on their engagement. I congratulated them last night when they made the announcement though I knew Louis was just forcing himself to say it.

But I don't want to sit through it with the rest of my family: father seems overly happy, even though he was pinning for Calista and Prince Leonard. Louis was still giving me the silent treatment. Calista was very obviously upset with Louis's actions, she became withdrawn from everyone.

Thinking about how I'm going to be unhappy made me wondered into the part of the Palace that I have not been briefed about. It was an airy area but somehow, I felt suffocated. Nothing was in it, only a fountain that was covered in mosses and vines.

I looked around, hoping to find a guard who could helped me out but the place felt abandoned. I shuddered, turning around to find the exit but something caught my eyes.

I stopped and turned my head towards the moving thing but something brushed past my face. I felt a stinging sensation on my skin and I knew I was bleeding.

Run away, now! Ashley!

The voice! It moved my gears and I ran, back to where I thought I came from. Again, the hallways were empty, so I knew I was not back to the main Palace and even if I scream, no one would hear me. So I saved my breathe and ran as fast as I can.

Down the hallways, I saw someone but a part of me stopped myself from screaming. I also stopped running, so the distance between me at whoever that person was, won't close.

Move! He's out to kill you!

Luckily, there was another set of hallways to my right and I ran again hoping I will be by the main Palace soon. I could feel the person behind me. He felt close but I knew better than to turn behind. He threw another dagger. It missed me and hit to wall instead, falling with a clatter.

Where is anyone?!

I was getting tired. I felt the blood rushing to my head. Yes, I have trained in swordsfight and build up my stamina but I am no knight. They were trained for combat with assasins and monsters; they can outrun any of those. Not me, I just want this chase to end.

How did I even get so far from the main palace? Ugh, I should stop dismissing my maids just so I could have alone time. See what happened.

"Princess! You're getting on my nerves! I'm going to kill you slowly once I catch you! Be very ready for a slow death!"

Princess?! So he's planning to kill Princess Katrina!

I saw someone in front in a familiar build. The sunlight shone against him armour plate. I felt relieved after getting a bit closer to the person. He stood in a stance, ready to throw the spear in his hand.

"Continue running, my lady. Don't stop until you see Sir Cedric up front!"

He instructed me and I managed an eye contact as I ran past Sir Joseph. I didn't stop running until I saw Sir Cedric who managed to catch me in his arms to stop my momentum.

Catching my breath was difficult, I ran so much that I was at the verge of fainting. But I stayed awake to hear someone swearing. Sir Joseph's hand was void of any spear, which only meant he had hit his target.

The target in question laid in a pool of his blood, not far from where Sir Joseph was standing. The imperial guards, the Rose Knights and the few Knights of High Order, that must have come with either Prince Leonard or Prince Harry, surrounded the assassin.

"Ashley! My daughter!"

Father came to hug me. It was a strange feeling since I have never been hug by him before. He was known for being stern, his only way of showing any love or concern was to be angry on behalf on someone. Never in my life had I known Father could hug.

After father's hug came Callista, face covered in tears, to bear hug me. She kept mumbling but I was not paying attention; I could still feel the pounding of the blood in my ears.

From afar, stood Louis, looking reserved and guilty. I called out his name, perking his attention and opened my arms as a sign for a hug. I didn't wait around to see what happened to the assassin but I know they will bring him in for questioning, which I too would need to prepare myself for.

As I walked with my family and the Rose Knights behind, I saw Prince Harry. He watched me but he didn't try to say anything. He was showing a kind of expression that I don't understand or maybe I was just too overwhelmed by all that had happened that I didn't really want to understand anything anymore.

"Come, my daughter. Let's go back to your room. You need rest."

I broke eye contact with Prince Harry, a blush on my cheeks as I hoped people didn't realised I was looking at him.

-♧-

Author's note:
Finally posting. Remember I said I've written a whole bunch of chapters but I just haven't upload. Yeah, I did. I kept telling myself to not mind those people but I took it too heart.

However I haven't seen anything negative recently so I'm much more confident to post.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and I'll see you in the next one, hopefully very soon 😉

-♧-