Part 16: Greenhouse

"Lady Ashley, the roses looks spectacular this morning!"

Freya, one of my close maids, was gushing at the flower I had recently planted. I turned away from the fern I was watering and looked at the roses. They weren't a special breed, just normal red roses I can buy anywhere, but growing them myself made the flowers looks better than store bought ones.

I nodded, prideful as I see Freya water them carefully. I went back to watering the ferns in front of me and looked up at the other plants in my greenhouse.

After what had happened during breakfast, I was feeling quite worn out. However, being surrounded by my plants helped me feel energized already.

Unconsciously, I began to hum a soft melody as I continue watering my plants.

"My Lady, how did you know that song?"

Freya asked me as she looked past a few trees she was standing at. It suddenly hit me that as someone who wasn't actively listening to musicians, that I would have known of a song.

I shook my head, unsure of how to answer. Freya didn't look too satisfied with my answer, which was a pain as she was known to be a big mouth and the biggest gossip among the maids.

"That song is from my hometown, Pharmis. I don't think anyone knew about it since Pharmis is such a small town. It isn't even visible on the map."

Freya had said, which caused me to raise my eyebrows. She was right; I had never heard of Pharmis until today. Even in my past life, where I studied of different countries, towns and village, I had not heard of Pharmis.

So now, it made me wonder how I knew of a song that originated from an unknown town.

"Forget it. Maybe Pharmis isn't as unknown as I thought."

My maid smiled happily as she was happy her town was know. Though I felt bad because I hadn't known about it till she told me.

Maybe I had heard someone singing it in town.

I shrugged at the idea since the last time I went to town was a while ago. Then I remembered about the whisper I heard when I was there in town and felt like there must have been a connection.

Don't think too hard, my dear.

"Huh?"

I called out, looking at my surroundings. It was a whisper! The same voice I had heard when I was in town with Princess Katrina and Prince Leonard. I turned around and around, whipping my head here and there, thinking I could catch a glimpse of whoever was whispering.

Though deep down inside, I knew that it was just a presence and not like an actual person could be caught whispering.

"Lady Ashley?"

Freya was looking at me. I knew she couldn't hear the voice but she must have heard my voice calling out randomly and was wary. I shook my head, apologising to her and told her that it was time to stop watering the plants in the greenhouse and go back to my room.

-♧-

Dreadful.

The next morning was dreadful. I didn't know what compelled me to make the decision but I did anyways.

I thought of studying a bit about the Old Tower of wizardry but I didn't want to look suspicious in the Rosling's library, so I arrived in town to search for answers under the excuse of shopping.

My first stop was the public library. I assumed it would be void of people but boy, was I wrong. Completely forgetting the fact it was a public library, it was also filled with students from the academy.

Which means, among this people, I could potentially meet Louis and his friends. I groaned at my mistake.

Louis can definitely guess what I'm doing here and if he was mean, he would have outed me to father as soon as he reached home.

But maybe before being outed by my own brother, I would be the center of attention again as the public have already caught news of my "rendezvous" with Prince Harry at the ball.

The eyes I felt on me were heavy with wanting to know the truth. I was sure they were wondering if this was a date between Prince Harry and I.

Also with the fact that I came here alone; no guards or maid to accompany me.

I didn't want them to be suspicious of my actions since they knew me as someone who won't step foot into the library. So I had them run errands for me and promised to meet with them at the cafe.

All that aside...I couldn't find a single book about the Old Tower at all. Are they so into secrecy?

I groaned, running my hand through my loose curls in frustration. Tina would have been so annoyed with me if she had seen how I had messed up the fine hairdo she had made for me.

Follow me.

I heard the whisper again, but this time it felt closer than before. Like the presence was directly beside me. I looked around the library, hoping no one was paying attention to me. Slowly, I closed the book I was browsing through and stood up, somehow following the voice.

It was strange. Just those two words was able to make me know exactly where to go, like a map was implanted inside my head. It lead me to the corner of the library, that became void of anyone. The area was dimly lit and the smell of dust was strong. There was a door, which looked like it had been unopened for a long time.

I reached for the handle of the door but before my fingers even made contact with the rusty doorknob, the door opened slightly. It creaked softly and I turned behind, involuntarily. My heart was thumping, worried that someone might have followed me secretly.

It is alright. No one can see you.

"That is not reassuring at all."

I mumbled to myself as I pushed the door wider. It was pitch black inside. I couldn't make out any furniture, if the room had any.

"Where is the light when I need it?"

I took a step into the toom and suddenly, it became bright. The door closed behind me with a click, startling me.

There's someone here. I can feel them.

And I was right. Surrounding me were shelves of books, going so high up I couldn't see the end. It was also strangely bright; not the kind from fire or sunlight. It seems like an illusion. In the middle of the room was a book stand, with a book opened wide.

Come.

Someone, or something coaxed me to come closer to the book and I comply. I needed answers and it was too late to regret my decision to come here.

-♧-

Author's note:
Hello. I'm thankful that people are still reading this book and adding it to your reading list. I'm sorry if this book takes so long to update. If you read any of my AN, you would know how my life is.

Basically, I'm a married woman, who is a housewife and was pregnant. "Was" because I have just given birth about 2 weeks ago to a healthy baby boy 😊 the only reason I'm updating this chapter is because I have already written it half way and I don't want to leave it hanging forever.

So I completed this chapter and publish it. I'm not sure when I will post the next chapter. Hopefully soon, when I have the time and mental capacity for it 🥲 taking care of a newborn baby is hard lol

-♧-