2. The Lucky Compass

You were never one for holding out hope when you knew shit is doomed. You found it best to just accept defeat and carry on to find ways to cope, your brother was the opposite. So when you were told that your dad went missing, you took missing as dead, you mourned for a while in secret and went on with life finding all types of things to deal. John B on the other hand, well, he was in denial.

He still believed your dad was out there somewhere trying to find his way back to you both, but your dad was a smart and resourceful man so if that were true he would have shown up by now. Just when you thought John B was willing to accept the loss of your dad, this compass shows up. He was set on trying to find him, and you didn't want any part of it. This led to multiple arguments with John B behind closed doors and in front of the other Pogues. He thought you were being heartless and accused you of not caring about your father and you thought he was going crazy by opening up old wounds that you had just healed from.

He did have a point though, your dad was the last person who would ever get lost at sea. You rid your mind of that thought, you would not let John B get in your head. You woke up drenched in sweat, groaning you turned to your alarm clock, it read 6:02 am. There would be no point in going back to sleep since you had to go to work at 7:30, your alarm would've gone off at 6:30 anyway.

You got up to walk around the house, searching for any sign of life. You saw a note on the table, 'went to drop the gear off at the druthers, be back soon -JB.'

You hoped that there weren't any complications putting it back, he got this far without getting caught. You also hoped he would get back on time to drop you off, if not you would tell JJ to borrow the twinkie and drop you off instead. You took the rest of the time that he was gone to shower and get dressed, putting on makeup to make yourself look decent for the guests at the country club, knowing you made more tips when you put more effort into your appearance. It sucked but it was true.

John B came back and slumped on the couch when you were in the shower so you didn't get to talk to him until you heard a pounding at the door.

"DCS, I know you're in there!"

You come out of the bathroom and there pops up JJ pouncing on the window making a loud banging noise, almost giving you a heart attack.

"Gotcha, slick." You heard him say, laughing at John B.

You stomp to the door, opening it wide open. JJ giggles his way to the door stopped by your smaller frame blocking the entrance attacking him, "That wasn't funny, asshole." You say between punches.

He continues to chortle, "You should have seen your face!"

"No, you should see your face when I'm done beating you up." You remarked, "C'mon let's go I don't want to be late."

On the way to the country club, you spoke of their plan to go to Lana Grubb's house to see what she knows considering you all found the compass on her late husband's boat. You doubted she was gonna tell them anything, with how random it would be two teenage boys showing up asking questions about something they found on her dead husband's boat but hopefully it would give John B the answer he would need to give whatever this was, up. You were too lost in your head to notice the topic had shifted.

"I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara, she clearly likes you." JJ states, "She's like, 'Oh, John B'" He fake moans out.

"How mature of you," you say.

"Is that what she does?" John B inquires amused.

"She's sketching about you diving and she kissed you," JJ observes, you understood his point. Kie always does things for a reason, you couldn't point out why she had kissed John B on the cheek but you also didn't see what the big deal was.