17. The Bonfire

Nobody knew what to do after the explosion, it was like time had stilled, it was like a bomb went off with you and your friends hiding behind the trenches. Sarah's wailing and sobbing, the radios police officers had carried on them had picked up on frequencies from other cops in the area. Shoupe had responded, informing them of what had just occurred then ushering you, your brother, Pope, JJ, and Kie, off the dock.

Sarah was allowed to stay, being as this was her property, her father's property and he was dead. She stayed in Topper's arms, teary-eyed as she watched John B walk away without a word in her direction.

What could he say? What could any of you say?

I'm sorry? For her loss, probably. But none of you would truly mean it, Ward Cameron was better off dead.

None of you wanted to leave Sarah in her home alone with her brother who had attempted to murder her not 24 hours ago, but nobody dared to convince her to go with you all.

The weekend would end and you would all have to be back in school tomorrow, spending the last day fishing by the dock and contemplating the meaning of life after what you had just witnessed.

Day turned into night, JJ and Kie went to buy beer while you, Pope, and John B, lay on the HMS Pogue. The three of you stared up into the night sky in reflection. Your brother had just confessed to him and Sarah breaking up.

"I don't get it," John B voices after minutes of silence, "I don't."

"Love is five minutes of pleasure for a lifetime of pain."

You snap your fingers at Pope's poetic words, "Jesus if you wrote a book about heartbreak, I'd the shit out of it... Did it really only last five minutes though?"

You tried to lighten the mood a little, though clearly, those weren't the vibes the two heartbroken boys were on. Lowkey, neither were you, but showing it would just open a can of worms (questions) that you weren't ready to deal with.

Pope turns his head to his left, where you lay in between him and John B, "What is wrong with you?"

"What's going on with you and Kie?" You quip, sitting up and crossing your legs with your knees outwards. You technically already knew what Kie had told you, but you wanted to hear his thoughts.

"Well, she just wants to be friends."

"Oh, death blow," John B exhales. "I'm sorry, man."

"I-I didn't even see it coming," Pope lifted and let his hands fall onto his stomach.

You pursed your lips, not knowing what to say. Thankfully, you didn't because the duo that left had just come back, tossing beer your way. You almost didn't catch yours, JJ threw it at you swiftly, and you glared at him to which he ignored you.

"What are you guys doing down here?" He asked. "Having a good cry?"

"Cry?" John B and Pope ask each other, "What are you talking about? We don't cry."

You were about to, seeing Kie wearing JJ's sweater, the size overwhelming her frame. You popped open the can and sipped on it.

"You know it's not your fault right?" She asks JB with a smile.

"You think she'll come back?"

"She's one of us," She inhales smoke from a joint, no doubt she and JJ already started smoking.

He smiles to himself, "Sarah's a pogue."

~~~

"Y/n!"

A loud feminine voice yelled in your ear, you jolted awake, your hand swinging to hit whoever disturbed you.

"Woah, chill," She steps back.