13. Prayers

Fuck this test was hard. It was your fault for not studying but honestly who could blame you? There was way too much going on in your life for you to be focused on your history test. You turned your head to Kiara whose seat was beside yours to the left, Pope in front of her, and JJ to the diagonally to the right. You didn't bother to look at JJ knowing he knew as much as you or less and Pope was too far to even try to get his attention. Just as you were about to whisper to Kie for help, a man in a suit opens the door asking Mr. Sunn-- your history teacher-- if he could speak with Pope.

"We're in the middle of a test." Mr. Sunn says.

"I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation," The man in the suit says. If you remember correctly that was the same foundation Pope had to meet with in order to be granted his scholarship. You wondered if they came to talk to him about what went down in the meeting.

"Mr. Heyward, it's for you." Mr. Sunn allows Pope to take a pause on his test while he speaks to the man. Kie meets your eye with her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, she quirks her eye at you in question. You shake your head slightly, I don't know.

Mr. Sunn returns his attention from the door to the class, you feign your focus on the paper made to test your mind on the knowledge you did not bother to know. Not five minutes later Pope is speed walking to his seat.

"What was that?" You heard Kie ask him. Pope turns to show you, Kie, and JJ a gold envelope with a gold wax-sealed wheat symbol.

"Is that?" You started.

"What the fu-fudge?" JJ exclaimed loudly, changing his words at your teacher's facial expression of warning.

~~~

You and your friends rushed to the library straight after class ended, JJ once again speaking loudly and being shushed by the school's librarian.

"Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane." You whispered to the boy who was not revealing any information on what the man had told him until you were all gathered in a "secure location". That location being the library/computer lab.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee," He explained. "Take a look at this."

JJ snatches the envelope from Pope's hand, tearing the seal open and then pausing. "Out loud, J." You encouraged. He looks between you, Pope, and Kie.

"I can't read cursive."

You slap your face with your hand, the sound echoed through the quiet room, you cringed at the noise. He gives you a face, Kiara grabs the letter from JJ and recites the words from the letter.

"Dear Mr. Heyward,

I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8:00 p.m. sharp tonight.

Please come alone.

Regards, C. Limbrey."

"Charleston?" JJ immediately responds to Kie finishing the letter.

"It's like an eight-hour drive plus the ferry. How will we get there tonight?" Pope paces.

"We would have to leave right now," You comment.

"I have a free period," Kie mentions. Fuck the free period you have a shift at the wreck right after school.

"'Material evidence'? What does that even mean, 'Material evidence'?" JJ thinks out loud.

"It means they can clear John B," You clarify.

"Oh shit, then we're going to Charleston!"

"I got to tell my mom," Kie groans. You give her a sympathizing look but also one that reminds her of your schedule tonight. She grimaces and you mouth the word 'later'.