9. The Bell Tower

Pure shock ran through your veins, this wasn't had it was supposed to go. Then again, you didn't know how this was supposed to go down anyways. So many different scenarios ran through your mind after Rafe put a bullet through Sheriff Peterkin. Would Rafe go to jail? Would Ward? hearing the last few seconds of what Sheriff Peterkin had said, Ward was going to get arrested. That's good, right? Wrong. Now it was just you, Rafe, Ward, Sarah, and your brother left with the Sheriff who was now bleeding out on the ground.

You couldn't process this quick enough, not when John B took off his bandana to press on the Sheriff's wound, not when Ward tried to calm Rafe down and Sarah was holding in her sobs. Next thing you knew John B was running and without thinking you ran with him. He had a head start so you were a little behind, you didn't look back as you heard more gunshots go off.

He didn't speak to you even when he noticed you followed him. You came to a stop where your friends were standing around a warehouse full of junk. They turned to face you, and John B rushing over questioning the blood covering his hands. Kie and Pope gave you a quick once over and once they determined that you didn't have any blood on you they gave their attention to John B.

"Is this yours?" 

"Whose blood is that?" 

"John B are you okay?" all three of them interrogated him but he was nonresponsive. You tried not to appear guilty. This wasn't your fault but you were with him, you were with Rafe and he killed Sheriff Peterkin. You wished you could crawl out of your skin and take back the last couple of hours. 

Police sirens came from across the street and you all ducked for cover. "We need to go," John B declared. The other members of your group looked at each other in confusion and you couldn't give them an answer even if you wanted to. 

They all rode in Kiara's car so you piled in and followed John B's instructions on where to go. The car ride was tense and John B explained all that happened at the airstrip, he would glance at you, eyes filled with questions. You just hoped he would hold out until you were both alone, you didn't know what you would do if JJ found out. 

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" JJ asked. 

"Somebody's gotta tell them what happened," He answered. Pope was coughing out a lung hitting a joint. Now you were the one confused, since when did he smoke?

"Alright, I'm just gonna be real with you right now," JJ put a hand on John B's shoulder from the third row of Kie's car. "You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental, just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops no matter what the circumstance is."

"Your old man's an abusive liar," Kie glared. 

"I agree with JJ, fuck the police," Pope's words had you almost rolling with laughter. 

"You going to the dark side now, poopy?" It was the first time you spoke to them all night. 

"When's the last time the police helped us?" He retorted. 

"Peterkin helped me alright," He turned to you "He helped both of us. Tried to at least, they need to know."

You didn't like the tone he used in that last sentence, the hint of betrayal trailed. He left to go into the police station. That's when their questions started, "What were you doing there, Y/N?"

You shut your eyes tight as you silently beg your brain to come up with a logical answer that doesn't involve the truth, you weren't with them all day and you couldn't say you bumped into John B when you found them because your brother already confirmed that you were there when it all happened. You inhale sharply, "I showed up to the airstrip with Rafe."