15. The Darkest Hour

Rage fueled in your veins at the injustice of the system your brother had fallen victim to. John B was charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances and the possible death penalty. You sat throughout his trial, silently praying for the downfall of everyone sitting in the courtroom staring and whispering ill wishes his way.

Everything leading up to this moment had formed a deep pit that your heart just wanted to scream into. This didn't make any sense, this wasn't fair and the true cause of this was sitting a few feet away from you playing the part of the distraught victim. You didn't realize you were staring and that they were taking John B away already.

There were no words of comfort that you could give him, there was no use, you would visit him as soon as he was processed into the system. Sarah called out to him and reached with her hand but was quickly pulled back by two officers standing in her path.

People filed out of the courtroom with praise to the judge and jury, grateful that 'that criminal is finally off the streets'. Each word spoken in disrespect to your brother shortened the very short leash that your patience was on.

'Justice is served' 'He had it coming' Murmurs that were not made to be subtle were heard all around you. Each phrase made to jab at your brother was a tick in the timer of a bomb waiting to explode- you were going to explode. It wouldn't do any good, of that you were sure, that was why you kept your mouth shut throughout the trial and as you walked outside with your friends.

Sarah's eyes and face were puffy from crying, you were sure she cried enough for the both of you, as soon as you got home you would be right next to her with tissues with matching tear streaks. "I should have never come home," She stated.

"They're gonna kill him, I know it" JJ commented.

"I am so sorry for what you and your family have gone through," You heard an older kook say to Ward. "Thank God the system works."

You turned from the direction you were walking in to face the voice that ignorantly spoke, "Can you shut up?" You walked their way and made your voice strong, "Of course, you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you."

"He'll have his day in court and a jury will decide," The man with peppered hair and fancy suit replied.

"He shouldn't even be in court!" You exclaimed.

Kiara walked up from behind you a bitter look on her face, facing Ward and pointing directly at him as she spoke. "You should, 'Cause you're a murderer."

You placed a hand on her shoulder and stepped forward, "You have a lot of nerve showing up to court. Showing your face while my brother is in jail with the possibility of the death penalty, because of you!"

Ward held out a hand like he was trying to calm a dog from attacking, "I know you're upset. I understand you're upset-"

"Upset?" You seethed. A couple of police officers had made their way to where the group that formed was standing. Against your better judgment, all the pent-up emotion came out as you lunged for Sarah's father. "No, I'm not just upset!"

Shoupe from your left had gotten a hold of your elbow, Officer Thomas grabbed your right. They forcefully backed you up, Pope was behind you steadying you by your biceps warning Officer Thomas to get off of you. JJ, Sarah, and Kie blocked their way to you as soon as you were released.

"Why don't you take the kooks down for a change Shoupe?" JJ asked the officer.

"You wanna get arrested?" Shoupe stared you down, He pointed at your group "Get out! You need to go."