5. Midsummers

"Rafe Cameron! Where the hell are you?" You shout out in the woods around the treehouse. You left not too long after JJ was arrested looking for a confrontation with the eldest Cameron sibling, the cause of JJ's arrest. You knew the best way to get to Rafe was to actually talk to him courteously in hopes that if you extend your friendship (cause apparently he cares) then he'd leave your friends alone.

"What up, Angel," He raises an arm in the air, you see it peeking up from above the wooden railing.

You climb up the ladder, "Don't what up, Angel, me! You know what you did!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about Y/N," He admits.

"Really, cause JJ just got arrested!" You stand over Rafe who's sitting with his knees up.

"Ah, that's what you're upset about, your little pogue boyfriend going to jail for committing a crime." He laughs, "Sounds about right to me."

"He's not my boyfriend but yes he's in jail right now because of you and your little friends and in case you forgot I'm a pogue too, you using that as an insult doesn't really affect me."

"So what you're saying is your single?" He gets up to face you and smirks.

"What?" Your mind scrambles at his words and the way he looked at you amusingly.

"And trust me I didn't forget pogue princess, that's what they call you right?" He spits out the words as if they disgust him.

"You're an ass," You scoff. He glares at you, "Then why do you keep coming back?"

Besides the fact that for some reason he likes your company and if you can somehow convince him to leave you and your friends alone, you wouldn't admit that you took an interest in him. That would start too many problems, problems you didn't need nor want to have because despite your interest he was not a good person. You think...

"I keep coming back because I know you can do better, be better, you proved it to me the other day. Yet, you continue to be in this cycle of terrorizing my friends which isn't gonna help any of us," You soften your features.

"I'm not going to change," He shakes his head, walking away from you. Ugh, why does he make this so difficult.

"Then I guess we're done here," You climb down the ladder.

"No, we're not," He shakes his head again. What is he talking about? "Yes, Rafe, we are."

You land your feet on the ground, "No, you're going to come back to me, Angel, Just like you always have." He's delusional, a deeper part of you responds to your thoughts, you know he's not.

"Goodbye asshole!" As you walk away he shouts, "What happened to being civil?"

Kie was expecting you at her house for Midsummers. You didn't have to work as a server this year, thankfully, and she invited you to be her plus one. You were her "saving grace in a party full of fascists who don't deserve their wealth", in all honesty, you didn't want to mingle around the people who practically pay your bills, but you used it as an excuse to dress up for once and not look like the trash most of them think you are.

She opens the door with one knock as if she was anxiously waiting for you to show up. Kie takes you up to her room, designed in her style with posters on the side of her bed, a surfboard at the end of it, her room had her simplicity with earth-inspired colors.

"Uh, Kie?" She sits on her bed next to you.

"What's up?"

"I don't have a nice enough dress," You trail off.