10. The Phantom

Turns out the wreck was the only safe place you and your friends can stay at the moment, that's where you all spent the night waiting to hear from John B. Then again, hearing no news right now is better than hearing that he had gotten arrested. Pope and Kie are the first ones to fall asleep even with Kie fighting her exhaustion and insisting she stay up with you until JJ reassured her that he'd be with you. You stayed up the entire night with him though he wasn't speaking to you. You thought he would've calmed down by now but you guess that with more time to yourselves, the more it got him thinking leaving you with the silent treatment.

The early afternoon sun was up now and the world was awake, though you never slept and the police certainly didn't, eager to catch the supposed killer of the beloved sheriff. Not knowing they were hunting down the wrong guy.

Police sirens, a familiar sound throughout this entire week, echoed into the restaurant causing a stir where Kie and Pope slept on separate table benches.

"Do you think they caught him?" Your leg bounced with anxiety as you asked openly.

Pope's now awake form came to stand beside JJ at the open window, "They've got to have pinched him by now." Said JJ.

"No, they wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him." Pope denies calmy.

"Let's hope."

"You know, we were in that car they're probably looking for us too" Kie brings up a whole new wave of anxiety for you. Since you were there, would Ward have mentioned you to the cops? Twisted the story to make it seem like you and John B had both done this. It was doubtful since there were no wanted posters with your name on them but it was a thought.

"Then, if we're gonna be outlaws we might as well help John B," You declare. Pope grabs keys from the bag at the table you were sitting next to, "Where are you going?"

"I'm gonna go get gas for the boat." Pope reaches the door when Kie says, "Hey, you be careful. Okay?"

He stares at her for a second not responding then turns and points to JJ, "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late." Kie goes after him, you and JJ share a look. You and JJ stay inside while they hash things out outside. 

You muffle your laughter with your hand so they couldn't hear it from outside, "I'm sorry but did Pope actually just do that?"

The question was directed to the only person inside with you, it seemed like he was set on ignoring you. "Seriously? You're just gonna give me the silent treatment because I fucked some guy!" 

His jaw was clenched shut and you could tell he was refraining to comment probably something he'd regret. You weren't going to back down though, "Alright fine, be a bitch then like I care maybe. I'll have you know it was my first time and it certainly won't be the last so you better get used to me being around guys other than you assholes." 

"I don't think you get how extremely messed up that sounds, Y/N." His voice was not in the same tone he was speaking in earlier, it was rough and raw. 

"You mean the truth?"

"I mean the part where your first time being with Rafe Cameron." 

You roll your eyes, "Wasn't my best moment but what's done is done. It's not like losing my V-Card was on the top of my list of priorities but it's not like I had a line of suitors waiting to wine and dine me."

"He doesn't deserve that part of you Y/N, and if you would open your fucking eyes you'd see that you're worth way more than him,"

If only he believed that about himself then you'd both be happy, he steps closer to you with a look in his eyes that you did not want to confuse for something else but the face he was giving you made it seem like he wanted to kiss you and you weren't sure what to think.