Chapter 1- A Death Row Convict

Y/N p.o.v

Okay, Y/N. You can do this.

I was walking down the hallway.
It seemed like it was getting much darker and colder as I continued.

The guards had blank looks, although I could just FEEL their judgement.

Well, it is quite unusual for someone like ME to be watching over a death row inmate.
I did watch over some violent prisoners, but not to THIS extent.

I find it hard to be harsh to the prisoners like the other guards. I just can't.
I usually have a friendly chit-chat with the ones I'm watching over, and when I must take them somewhere- I ask politely.
Even the rude and scary ones eventually warm up to me.

Maybe this is why I'm the only one in the security force who doesn't get hurt in prison riots or even protected by some inmates.
...and this is why I am usually sent to defuse the situation.
Alone.

I shake my head.

Death row inmates are a completely different case than the thieves or the other simple-crime inmates I've delt with.

Instead of looking after four prisoners, I'd be looking after only one.

I arrived to the last cell in the hallway.
It was very isolated from any other cells.

I read the sign.
'Simon Blackquill'.

"Hmpf. You must be my new guard."
A voice spoke from the darkness.

"WAAA! Y-You scared me! Hehe!"
I tried to laugh it off.

I heard the sound of papers getting put away. Weird.
Then I heard the sound of metal clinging and heavy footsteps.
I could see him much better when he emerged from the darker part in his cell, closer to the bars.

Simon blackquill was a head taller then me. He had dark, long, messy hair that looked good in him no matter what.
He wore very formal clothes, and his hands were still cuffed in strong handcuffs even though he was in his cell.
His skin was pale from years of sitting in a dark cell, with eyes dark and tired with dark bags around them.

"So you are going to get a heart attack? Like the last one?"
Simon smirked.
H-He's quite intimidating...

"...s-so THIS is what happened to the last one..."
I mumbled.

"...May I know the name of my new and alive company?"

HE IS 100% TRYING TO CREEP ME OUT ON PURPOSE!

"The name's Y/N L/N. I hope we get along."
I slightly smiled.

"...'get along', you say? That's new.
Are you sure you are a prison guard and not just a lady who wandered around and got to the wrong place?"

I... is he right?
I mean, I'm much younger and different from the other guards... and I got this job because I couldn't get into any other place...
I'm such a failure! For each one of my 25 years of life!
I learned psychology to help people in distress, who needed someone who'll listen and help to solve their problems, just to babysit over dangerous, law-breaking---

Wait a sec.

"There is a name for what you just did.
In psychology.
It's called 'suggestion'."

"So I got an educated one.
You know, there's a reason I'm known as the 'twisted samurai'."
Simon's eyes were piercing my soul, looking right through me.
His gaze was scary, but I have to pull myself together.

"Sorry, I was put in here in such a short notice that I didn't have the time to research about you..."
I said, embarrassed that I didn't know this small fact about my own inmate.

"But you could tell me if you want-"

"I don't have the patience to deal with your 'rainbows and sunshine' rubbish."
He cut me off, stepping back into the darkness.

Um...

...so THIS is the type of prisoner I'm going to deal with...