Chapter 10- The Truth Revealed

Y/N p.o.v

I was observing the trial from the gallery.

Simon and the defence team did everything they could, but 'Detective' Bobby Fulbright didn't drop his act, managing around the accusations,
insisting that Athena is the culprit.

Even with Blackquill's little hints and saves and even with Apollo seeing through his lies, Mr. Wright just didn't have the evidence to prove that Fulbright's in the wrong.

I clenched my fists, praying.
They HAVE to win this.
This man caused so much pain to so many people...

The more Fulbright tried to push the lighter with Athena's fingerprints forwards as decisive evidence, the more I became suspicious of it.

It's the only thing he can leach on, and I could see how desperate his body language became the more he tried to go back to the lighter.

Simon met my eyes from the other side
of the room, and I quickly took this opportunity and mimed the lighter.
Blackquill nodded, somehow understanding what I ment. He started hinting to the defence to doubt the lighter.

Wright and Apollo broke their heads on it, trying to find a contradiction.

"...
!!!
Your honor, the defence would like to re-analyse the fingerprints on the lighter!"
Mr. Wright said as he got the idea.

Brilliant!
Fulbright was the one who brought the last analyse, right?
He might have delt with it...
It's all coming together!

The three put more and more pressure on him... he is about to crack...!
"I-I confess!"
FINALLY!
"I... I... am not the phantom."
WHAT?!

"I am an undercover investigator. I'm after the phantom, too! But... he forced me to work with him, to make his escape route and frame Ms. Cykes..."
Fulbright continued.

WHAT BULSHIT!
I had to stop myself from standing up and exclaiming it out loud.

But at least the three didn't seem to believe it...
Apollo continued pressing on Fulbright.

Fulbright pieced up quite a convincing story, but I know he's piling lies upon lies.
Suddenly, his lively aura disappeared as he unexpectedly became serious.
"You believe me, right, prosecutor Blackquill?"

Blackquill hesitated before answering, looking somewhere else.
H-Huh...? Don't tell me...
"Yes. I believe you and your story.
You are obviously not the phantom."

W-WHAT?? N-NO!

"WHAT?! How can you say that, Prosecutor Blackquill?"
Mr. Wright was worried.

I couldn't help but feel betrayed.
H-He can't believe this, r-right...?

Simon looked at me again.
Winking.
H-Huh?
Now is not the time to get flustered, Y/N!
He is obviously meaning something else...

Athena had a grin that got wider and wider the more Simon reassured Fulbright.

!!!
They have a plan!

Athena was about to be declared innocent, but this would also mean that Fulbright will go free.

"HOLD IT!"
She stopped the judge as Simon chuckled to himself.
__________________

I had to excuse myself from the courtroom. I can't watch it.
The thing with the mask... really creeped me out. And the phantom pretending to be a dead person... I really struggled to handle this fact.

This whole ordeal made me feel sick.

I quietly went out to the lobby, without making any noise or interruptions. But I felt a pair of eyes watching me as I left.

I sat on the couch, letting myself zone out without worries. Athena and Blackquill are not in danger anymore.
The phantom is standing in court, trying to play 'hard to get' with his identity.
I'd rather not look at this terrible man's true face...

I suddenly heard the sound of a gunshot and panic. W-What...? Is everyone alright? Is Simon okay?

I watched as the medics ran in, collecting a person wearing the white suit and a bunch of other faces- masks, to be exact.

I shivered.
How can a person live like that?
Only pretending to be someone else... committing terrible crimes... suppressing their true emotions...