9 | Like Father, Like Son

"Be a good boy today, Haru

"Be a good boy today, Haru."

You scoop your son into your arms, pressing kisses against the temple of his forehead as he wraps his little arms around your neck in return.

"Okay, Mommy!" he sings.

He then wiggles himself out of your hold, running towards a group of kindergarteners that are all waiting for their teachers to bring them into the classrooms.

Watching your son disappear into the crowd, you sigh and immediately feel the unfiltered, jealous gaze of older moms.

Acquainted with each other from dropping off and picking up their kids, this group of thirty and forty-year-olds always brew the same gossip about you amongst themselves.

"How old is she?" one lady tries to whisper, but you could hear every word. "She's so young."

"Don't tell me she's a teen mom," another woman chimes in.

"I heard she's not even married to that hot blonde that came to pick her son up the other day."

Whatever, you mumbled in thought, anchoring your hands to your hips.

All you could think about is what Nanami would want for breakfast.

You owe Nanami a lot, and just thinking about how much he's been monetarily and emotionally supporting you over the past week makes you feel that you owe him even more.

Tired of the endless pit of guilt, you've been searching for another job, but who would want you now that you've been blacklisted in the entire Kyoto stripping industry?

You hate this, hate how your life is just spiraling downward just when you thought everything was falling into place.

Despite Nanami's reassurance, you want to find another job, something to keep your mind busy and off the wallowing waves of remorse.

Shoulders slumped, you trace your steps back home, only for someone else to quickly fill in your spot in the schoolyard.

"Hey there, kiddo," Gojo shouts across the field.