13 | White Lies

Haru jumps around the living room

He's been jumping around the living room.

Locking an axolotl Squishmallow between his arms, he feeds off of both his sugar rush and his residual giddiness after meeting Gojo.

Meanwhile, you are on the couch and stuck in a suffocating trance, mind ruminating through your second confrontation with the silver-haired sorcerer as you flip through channels for who knows how long now.

One quick glance at the clock nearly makes you choke.

You've been mulling over that good-for-nothing, Jack Frost-looking butthole for hours already.

You need to stop.

Didn't you decide to never speak with him again, so these past interactions with your ex-boyfriend wouldn't matter, right?

Yet, Gojo's overly flirtatious comments cause whirlwinds of emotions inside of you, and you didn't know how to deal with them.

"Call me if you need anything, Mommy!"

Just the memory of the man's dark chuckles whizzes consistently in a drum-like fashion through your head, and the feeling makes you want to slump over in your seat.

You hate that his laughter alone makes your heart somersault in your chest, especially since you were only looking for reasons to hate him.

What doesn't make your situation any better is that Nanami would return from work soon.

How would you even face him then?

You have already lied to him once, after losing your job and your mind during your first encounter with Gojo.

Given the many times you've rejected Nanami's outright advances, his pride is surely beyond crushed.

However, he would willingly put himself at risk for you, the man who would flip mountains over just to protect you.

When was the last time you've ever shown any appreciation?

The thought leads to an incessant throb in your heart, a wrenching sensation that makes you want to cry and throw puny punches at the air.

Frustrated, you roll off the sofa, nearing your son.

"Can you do me a little favor, munchkin?" you ask gently, picking him up and holding him at your hip. "Don't tell Nanami about the very bad man you met today, okay?"

Haru, with wide and curious eyes, fastens his grip on the plushie.

"Why not?"

Long story, you sigh to yourself.

You could never explain these painful nuances to him, not that Haru would understand anyway.

"That will make him very upset," you reply, simplifying the narrative quite a bit. "You wouldn't want to see Nanami sad, would you?"

"What will make me sad?"

The sudden rich timbre in the room forces you to turn to whirl around.

Throwing his glasses and blazer to the side, Nanami toes off his shoes at the doorway before approaching you.

Oh, shizzles McCrackers.

He's home a little earlier than you expected, and you certainly did not anticipate him to walk into the conversation.

Already, your fingers twitch at the sight of him, swallowing a huge lump in your throat as your eyes rake over his figure, almost forgetting that an impatient Haruto was still in your arms.

Five seconds.

You had five seconds to come up with a good excuse.

"Me," you croak, suppressing a whimper as you suddenly forget how to string together a coherent sentence. "I'll make you sad."

Although the answer is a hurried attempt, a bit of truth is strung between your little white lie.

Nanami quirks a brow as he fishes Haru from your arms.

He then turns his attention to you, noticing that your hair is a bit tousled, your makeup slightly faded, but he always loves seeing you as the natural beauty as you are.

Pressing a kiss on Haru's head, Nanami inquires, "Why would you make me sad?"

An exasperated huff leaves your lungs.

"Because you're doing everything for me," you grumbled, head hanging, "and I can't do anything back."

The more you spoke, the more you got annoyed at yourself.

You hate admitting this, sounding like an overly reliant gold digger when that's the last thing you would want to be.

In response, the blonde pauses, his soft lips frozen amid its path to your son's cheek.

"Haru," he suddenly calls instead of directly reacting to your comment. "Let's put you to bed, yeah?"

The boy nods.

He's never learned to say "no" to Nanami.

From your spot in the living room, you watch Nanami help Haru brush his teeth and change into his pajamas, eventually carrying the little one into the bedroom so that he could send your son to sleep with a whispered "good night."

When Nanami leaves the room, the door is closed with a click behind him.

You could feel your heart thumping in your chest as he brushes past you to sit on the couch, his intense eyes never leaving yours.

His heated gaze could melt you on the spot.

You don't know what to do, don't know what he is thinking.

Nanami is just staring at you without saying any words, and the uncomfortable atmosphere and tension force you into the corner of the living room.

You aren't even doing anything, just standing there in a pit of your indecisiveness.

The thought of running away from both Nanami and your shame suddenly sounds like a delectable idea as you glance between the now-intimidating man and the apartment door.

Nanami interrupts your thoughts.

"You seem nervous," he says, and then pats the seat right beside him. "Sit down."

I love how the JJK fandom collectively agrees that Nanami is 1000% husband material

next update: next friday