24 | Not Enough

When Nanami comes home the next day, he doesn't even do as much as look at you

He just flings the door open and storms in, and since he arrives several days earlier than expected, you are quite shocked that there hadn't even been a message that announced his upcoming return.

Had you not been in the living room, his quiet arrival would've gone completely unnoticed.

You slam your laptop closed, afraid that—like what he would usually do—casually peer over your shoulder, leaning in close to scrutinize the webpages on your MacBook.

"Kento, you're back," you greet surprised, pushing your laptop to the side. "I sent Haru to a playdate since we didn't know you'd be coming back."

Even as he throws his jacket aside and paces quickly down the hall, Nanami still does not acknowledge you. 

His evasion confuses you—this cold demeanor is something that you are simply not accustomed to—leaving you heavily bothered by how he distances himself from you.

Despite the occasional arguments that break out between you two, Nanami isn't the type of man to completely ignore you. 

His attention has always been something warm and genuine, the type of warmth that cradled one with a sense of perpetual security.

Besides, didn't Nanami sound excited to come back before he left?

Even if you aren't sure about his motives, you follow behind him to your shared room once Nanami was several steps ahead. 

That's when you also notice that he had returned without the luggage he had left with, too.

Although you want to ask, Nanami doesn't give you a chance from how he hurriedly unzips a nearby bag and crouches to his bedside drawers, throwing some of his belongings in: pants, hair gel, a cubed black box.

Starting a conversation in such situations is always awkward and, more importantly, difficult. 

Where would you begin?

You are careful because it's like stepping over a thin sheet of ice over a frozen lake, where you have to tread carefully else the wrong step would send you plunging into frigid and uncomfortable waters.