The Walkers and the Australian Surfer Dude

Great.

I rolled my eyes internally. I'd be living with at least one surfer dude. He was a long way away from Australia. Or even California for that matter. Gearhart was on the coast though, so I suppose he could catch some waves if he wanted to.

I glanced around at the rest of the assembled people in the entryway. None of them had opened their mouths to speak, so I couldn't tell if they were Australian too. Surfer dude was the only one who fit the part of a sun worshipping beachhead. His caramel-colored hair had streaks of honey-blond layered among the thicket of wavy hair atop his head. A tiny crease mark to the left of his mouth indicated he had a dimple. His skin was a light sun-kissed shade of tan. The muscles of his biceps and toned forearms strained the fabric of his pale blue dress shirt. Taking in his height, I noted he was a good eight or nine inches taller than me. I imagined he would tower over me if we were standing beside each other. It was unnerving to think about. I was used to being one of the taller ones in the room. But here I erred on the shorter side. His eyes were dark, maybe blue or green? When we made eye contact, I found it impossibly hard to look away. Prolonged eye contact usually made me uncomfortable, but oddly enough, I felt the desire to continue looking into those pools, to get closer to them, to examine them for flecks of gold or swirls of gray.

Breaking eye contact with him, I studied the others in the room. They were all classically beautiful I realized. From their hair to the shocking lack of wrinkles on the faces of the older ones. Their physiques were well off, with all of the men being tall and muscular, and the women being tall and well proportioned in the proper places. Some of them flashed white-toothed smiles. The women all had healthy, long, and straight hair. The men had jawlines that could cut diamonds.

I gulped nervously. These people were beautiful. And the surfer dude...I found him startlingly attractive, although he was not my type at all. I preferred brunettes. Brunettes who were in my league. This man was, without a doubt, leagues out of my league.

Beside me, Gloria seemed to be having similar thoughts as she let out a nervous little chuckle before speaking. "I'm Dr. Gloria Steger," gesturing to me, she introduced me, "And this is Megan Anderson, the occupational therapist who will be staying with you while she's in Oregon."

A graceful-looking woman glided forward, the skirt of her green dress swirling delicately around slender legs. Extending her hand, she grasped my hand in a firm shake.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Megan."

"Likewise," I nodded, offering her a smile.

The woman continued, doing a quick introduction of everyone in the room. "I'm Clare Walker. This is my husband Mason." She listed off everyone else's names, including surfer dude- I mean Julian Walker, her son.

"We are so glad to have you here," Clare finished. She glanced at her son, an amused look on her face.

"Thank you for allowing me to stay in your home, Mrs. Walker. It's much appreciated," I replied. She, and a few others, chuckled. I brushed it off. Was I speaking too formally? Not formally enough?

Glancing at Gloria, Clare addressed my boss. "Dr. Steger, would you like to stay while Ms. Anderson gets settled in? For dinner even?"

Gloria shook her head, causing my stomach to drop. She was the only person in the room I felt remotely comfortable with. To hear she was abandoning me so soon didn't bode well.

"I appreciate the offer Mrs. Walker but I have plans tonight. Going out to dinner with J- a friend." Gloria smiled. I smirked to myself. I wonder whose name she was about to say.

"I understand Dr. Steger," Clare murmured. "One of these days you must come for dinner though. As a thank you for bringing Megan to us."

I fought the frown that threatened to spread across my face. 'Bringing Megan to us'? Because that didn't sound like the beginning of a creepy movie at all. Thoughts of Gloria heading out the door and the Walkers pouncing on me as soon as the door closed quickly danced across my mind. I pushed the thoughts away, shaming myself for being so paranoid.