See You Again

I paced in the waiting area, my fingers fidgeting with the bouquet in my hands. I was anxious to see my mate, but scared at the same time. I slept restlessly the night before, only for a few hours at most. I kept seeing the image of Macciata standing over her about to snap her neck. I would toss and turn as I watched the alternative ending, the one where my mate dies, over and over again until I jolted out of my sleep, a scream wanting to escape my lips. Eventually I gave up on sleep and took a drive, ending up at the grocery store. I decided flowers were the least I could do to comfort my mate right now. They wouldn't heal her wounds, but it might cheer her up. I didn't know what state she would be in when I got to the infirmary.

She wasn't awake when I got there. Dr. Patten came out to talk to me, giving me a more detailed rundown of her injuries and what they needed to do to her. He explained that she would need to stay in the hospital for a solid week before he would reevaluate her to see if she was good to come home. My shoulders slumped at this news. I was glad her injuries weren't serious enough that she required surgery, but it was disappointing to know that my mate wouldn't be home as soon as I'd hoped. 

After an hour of waiting, and repeatedly asking if Megan was up yet, I grew impatient, my wolf prodding me to ingore the nice receptionist and the doctor's orders and sniff out my mate without their permission. I considered this for a moment, staring unseeingly at the flowers before deciding my wolf knew best and pushed through the double doors that led to the private wing of the hospital that was reserved for the Alpha, his family, and special guests.

If the nurses thought I was overstepping, they didn't say anything. I was glad for that. I didn't want to turn into a surly Alpha, but I would if it meant I got to see my mate.

Through the heavy scent of antiseptic and floor cleaner, I scented her faint, signature smell. I followed the trail until it led me to her door. Hiding the flowers behind my back, I turned the door knob and opened the door a crack. I could see a sliver of my mate's arm lying still on the hospital bed. There were two IV's attached to her, one in the wrist and the other in the crook of her elbow. Opening the door further, I slipped into the room and quietly shut the door behind me. She didn't stir, but her chest rose and fell, indicating she was deep in sleep.

I stopped trying to hide the flowers, letting my arms come to rest at my sides. Anxiety started to knot itself in the pit of my stomach again. I'd been hoping she'd be awake, excited to see me. I wanted to see her pretty smile, and run my hands through her soft curls. What I wanted most was to hold her tight and be reassured by her presence.

Coming to the foot of her bed, I gently placed the flowers beside her feet. I placed my hand on her lower leg, jostling it slightly. It wasn't fair of me to want to wake her up, but I was a selfish Alpha. An Alpha missing his mate. 

My hand worked up her leg, gently rubbing her skin through the thin sheet covering her up to her chest. When I reached her hip, I barely grazed over it, knowing she had stitches there. My fingers continued their path, wandering over her stomach and skimming her shoulder. I noticed she stirred a little, her head twitching as she swallowed hard. 

"I don't know if you can hear me, but if you can I want you to know how proud of you I am." I gulped, my chest growing tight. "You tried your hardest to get away from him. To fight him off. I can't say there are many humans who would do that given they were fighting against a werewolf. You're a brave Luna. Our pack is so lucky to have you...I'm lucky to have you...as my mate and my wife."

My fingers stopped their wandering at my mate's mark. I studied the deep claw wounds that the doctor had attempted to suture shut. I knew there would be scars. Three red lines running down the side of her face. My hand clenched into a fist. Even though he was dead, Macciata managed to leave emotional and physical scars behind. If I could go back and kill him one hundred times, it wouldn't be enough.