Naked and Afraid

I'd wished Meg had stayed downstairs longer, come to dinner even. It would've been nice just to have her near. I noticed I found it easier to breathe when she was beside me, easier to think, and not feel like my head was in a fog. More negative effects of a mating bond that's ignored.

Me, Brett, my family, and our guests were all in the living room relaxing and socializing after dinner. Louise had been with us for a while but excused herself, saying she didn't feel well. One glance at a very worried Brett clued me in on what was wrong with Louise. I was curious as to when the couple was going to announce their news to the pack.

This was to be the last night that our guests would be staying. There would be one more big meeting in the morning to finalize any trade deals or arrangements before they returned to their own packs. If I was being honest, tomorrow morning couldn't get here soon enough. I wanted them out of my house and off my pack's land. Maybe if they were gone, I could focus more on figuring out how to tell my mate what was going on.

I was again standing by the mantle, occasionally glancing out the door to see if my mate passed on her way down the hall. If she did, I wouldn't hesitate to join her. Even if she was going to the kitchen for a midnight snack, I'd gladly follow behind her like an adoring puppy dog.

We are not a puppy or a dog, my wolf grumbled. 

If our mate is involved, we'll gladly be a puppy if that's what she wants, I snarked back. My wolf and I were starting to get into fights. He wasn't happy with my approach to the situation and was starting to be more vocal about his feelings than usual.

"Have you figured out a plan yet," Liv said, sidling up to me. My attention flicked from her, then to Jordan who was in conversation with the Alpha from the Florida pack, then back to her. 

I shrugged, taking a sip of my drink. "I don't know."

Liv raised an eyebrow.

"Every idea I come up with sounds totally idiotic or a surefire way to get her to never talk to me again."

"Have you thought about showing her, rather than telling her?" Liv asked. "There's a lot of power in that."

I sighed. "Oh yeah. I'll bring her to the woods and say  'Hi, Meg. I have a cool trick to show you.' and then I turn into a gigantic wolf. What do you think her reaction is going to be Liv?" I said sarcastically, giving her a cool glare.

Jordan joined us, his arm slipping around his mate's waist. I rolled my eyes.

"Easy man, my mate is just trying to help."

A sound in the hallway cut short any retort I was going to make. My gaze cut the doorway, my mate's figure breezing past. She was wearing sweatpants and a jacket. Something was in her hand, but I couldn't see it clearly. Where was she going dressed like that? Who needs a jacket to get a late night snack?

I moved to follow her, but Jordan's voice stopped me short.

"Apologize."

My head snapped to face him. He was using his Alpha tone...on an Alpha. Not wise. I narrowed my eyes at him, staring him down.

"Jor-" Liv started.

"Quiet Liv," he snapped. "I'm not backing down until Alpha Walker apologizes for being rude."

I saw my mother and sister get up from their seats, growing wary. A fight could not break out now. It would alert Megan and destroy the relationship we'd forged with Jordan and Liv's pack.

I swallowed, deciding it was best to set aside my pride.

"Liv, I'm-"

"Julian!" Brett barked, leaping up from his seat. His eyes glazed over, letting me know one of our warriors was most likely mindlinking him.