The Truth

I woke up the next morning with a bad taste in my mouth and a crick in my neck. I'd spent the night in Amanda's room on a couch Julian and I had moved in. I'd been glad for his accommodating Amanda and offering to move the couch. He didn't have to accept my client crashing at his house for the night, but he did so without so much as a negative word.

I sat up and stretched, groaning when I moved my head too fast. Last night was a blur, one long fever dream. I remember walking into Amanda's hospital room, seeing the purple stitches lining her bruised arms. The circles under her eyes, the faraway look as she replayed what her boyfriend had done to her. What killed me the most about the whole situation was that she still loved him. There were women who left perfectly loving men because they didn't love them anymore, and Amanda wanted to stay with her abuser? Deep down I knew there was a whole psychological explanation for her logic but it still sucked.

Running a hand through my hair, I looked at the time on my phone. You'd think after the night I had I'd sleep in, but it was only eight o'clock. I stood up and flicked my eyes over the bed. Surprisingly, Amanda was not there. A sliver of panic spiked in my heart. I needed to find her. Different scenarios raced through my head as I exited Amanda's room and darted down the hall to my own. Maybe she'd left. Gone home. Back to the piece of shit she called her boyfriend. Or what if she was just gone. Gone to who knows where without a word to anyone.

Changing out of my pajamas, I threw on a sweatshirt and cropped leggings with a pair of sneakers. I'd called Gloria after I put Amanda to bed last night and explained the situation. We'd agreed that I would watch her for the day and when Gloria was available she would come by to work things out. In return for watching Amanda all day, I got the day off, which I sorely needed. My brain was a jumble of worrying over my client, realizing how behind I would be at work when I go back tomorrow, and trying to make sense of what I saw in the kitchen last night. 

Pausing in front of the mirror, I tilted bm head up, peering at the mark on my neck. It was most definitely more than a hickey now. The bruisish color had faded down considerably, but the lines that I thought were veins had darkened into precise swoops and swirls that formed the shape of a wolf's head. I gasped, pressing my fingers to it. I was even more surprised by the instant calm I felt from that touch. And there was a fuzzy, tingling warmth that flowed into my body. I removed my fingers, the feeling going away, but the calm remaining. I needed to talk to Julian this morning. I needed answers before I lost my mind.

Exiting my room, I found my way downstairs and followed the smell of breakfast to the kitchen. Pushing the door open and stepping inside, I paused as I took in the sight before me. Clare, Mason, and Donovan were at the table chatting with Amanda. The other guy, Dominic, was there too, leaning against the counter, looking intently at Amanda as she talked. Sabrina was at the stove flipping pancakes. 

Clare caught sight of me. "Good morning darling," she smiled. "How are you feeling?"

I frowned. She acted like I was the one who went to the hospital last night. "I'm fine Clare." Walking to Amanda I bent down beside her. "How are you?" I asked pointedly.

I heard Dominic shift behind me, coming closer. What was his issue? Ever since he laid eyes on Amanda he was being...possessive. 

"I'm...okay," Amanda murmured.

I raised an eyebrow. She shrugged. "How are the arms?"

She held them out for me to see. "They're sore. But that's to be expected."

I nodded. "After breakfast, I'll get the supplies the nurse gave you last night and I'll clean the wound and wrap bandages around them so nothing gets in them."

"I can do it," Dominic volunteered behind me. He came to stand on the other side of Amanda, looking down at me eagerly. I expected her to flinch or shy away, but she just looked up at him, her gaze timid. Interesting, I thought.