Business as Unusual

I woke to Julian's side of the bed empty and cold. There was a text from him on my phone saying that he'd gone out early for morning practice with the warriors and to continue the search for Macciata. I sighed as I sat up, throwing off the sheets. He was dead set on finding the man before Sheriff Wade did. I don't blame him. I wanted him to pay for what he tried to do to me and for what he did to all those other women. I sided with Wade on what should be done with Macciata when he is found though. He should be tried and jailed. Being killed immediately is too quick for him. He needs to feel his life, his freedom, being taken away just like those girls felt in their last moments of life.

As I went about getting ready for the day, my stomach churned with mixed emotion. On the one hand, I wanted to go to work and do something besides sitting around. But on the other hand, I was afraid that if I left Grimfur property, Macciata would somehow find me. And even if I had a guard, he would kill me. I shivered as I put on a coat of mascara. Wade had been insistent that Macciata wouldn't try to come back for me. That it didn't fit his pattern. He would be too afraid to try again. It would be easier to go after someone else. But a niggling feeling in the back of my brain kept whispering 'what if...'

Slipping into a pair of oxfords, I checked myself in the mirror before grabbing my phone and workbag as I headed out of our bedroom. Julian had been insistent last night before we went to sleep. We laid side by side looking up at the ceiling, our hands clasped together between us. He kept running through what would happen in the following days until Macciata was found. A guard would escort me to and from Grimfur Hall. Originally the guard would ride with me wherever I went. But then I pointed out that Macciata might intentionally stay away if he always saw someone with me, specifically a highly trained wolf. Julian agreed, amending the plan so that the guard would trail behind me in a different vehicle every day, and then join me inside the office pretending to be a patient or someone who has business with the office. Thankfully, Wade had released a public alert to the town and surrounding areas making them aware that there was a serial killer still on the loose. So it wasn't just me who was on edge.

As we talked, my eyes started to grow heavy. I hadn't been sleeping well and Julian knew it. But I didn't tell him. I didn't want him to worry about me more than he already was. Rolling over onto my side, I squeezed his hand and let go, tucking both of my hands under my head like a pillow. Julian rolled over to face me, brushing my hair out of my face. 

"Promise me you won't pull anything tomorrow."

I frowned. "What'd you mean?"

Julian sighed. "Please don't try to shake your guard or leave without telling me or him what you're doing."

I chewed my lip thoughtfully. I certainly wasn't going to go out and try to find Macciata if that was what he was meaning. But if push came to shove and I needed to go, with or without my guard, I was going. I had a job to do, regardless of a murderer being on the loose.

"Megan..." Julian drew out my name, ending it with a low growl. His hand came to rest gently on my neck, forcing me to look up at him. 

I sucked in a breath. "I promise Julian. I won't go looking for trouble. But your guard better be on his toes."

My husband's eyes narrowed. He wasn't totally satisfied with that answer, but I could see him debating whether or not to push me. Thankfully he let it go, instead nuzzling up to me, placing a tender kiss on my mark before turning out the lights and going to bed.

Looking at my watch, I had a couple minutes before I needed to leave. I wasn't hungry so I skipped breakfast and opted to pack my lunch instead. The door to the kitchen swung open, a warrior that I'd often seen in the dining hall entering the room. He nodded politely at me.