Chapter 1: This is Berk (Part 1)

Somewhere in the Archipelago, a small island stands. A gigantic shard of rock jutting straight out of the water.

"This is Berk. It's twelve days North of hopeless, and a few degrees South of freezing to death. It's located solidly on the meridian of misery."

A small village nestled on an outcropping of sea mounts.

"My village. In a word, sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new.
We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problems are the pests."

Sheep grazed peacefully on a hillside, waddling here and there to find new patches of grass. All of a sudden, one is snatched.

"You see, most places have mice or mosquitos. We have..."

Hiccup pulls open a door, but immediately slams it shut again when a dragon swoops down, a stream of fire heading his way. The flames seep through the cracks in the door, illuminating the gangly teenage viking within the home.

"Dragons."

The teenager opened the sizzling door, leaping off the front porch of the burning house, and made his way weaving through the crowd of chaotic vikings.

"Most people would leave. Not us. We're vikings. We have stubbornness issues. My names Hiccup. Great name, I know. But it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanour wouldn't do that."

Dragons sweep back and forth, dodging axes and blasting the Vikings who throw them. A burly warrior gets tossed in an explosion, knocking Hiccup to the ground. A screaming viking screams in his face, before giving him a cheery yet insane "MORNIN'" and going on his way.
Hiccup scrambles to his feet again, continuing on his journey through the chaos while Vikings who passed him yelled at him.
"What are you doing here?!"
"Get inside!"
"What are you doin' out?"
"Get back inside!"
Hiccup didn't notice the stream of fire about to hit him until another larger viking yanked him out of its path. Lifting him up by his shirt, he glares at the young viking. "Hiccup?!" He turns accusingly to the other vikings. "What is he doing out aga-?! What are you doing out?! Get inside!" Setting Hiccup aside, he turns to the skies, surveying all the dragons attacking tonight.

"That's Stoick the Vast. Chief of the tribe. They say that when he was a baby, he popped a dragon's head clean off of its shoulders. Do I believe it?"

Stoick grabs a wooden cart, throwing it at a dragon and knocking it out mid-air.

"Yes I do."

Stoick turns to one of the vikings beside him, Starkard. "What have we got?" He questioned, searching the night sky. "Gronckles, Nadders, Zipplebacks, Oh, and Hoark saw a Monstrous Nightmare." Starkard reported. A building explodes, sending embers flying everywhere. One ember lands on Stoicks shoulder.
"Any Nightfuries?"
"None so far." Stoick casually brushes the embers off his shoulder. "Good."
Two enormous torches are raised and lit, illuminating the dragons flying over the village. Hiccup finally reaches his destination: a blacksmith shop. He puts on his apron and gets to work.
"Ah! Nice of you to join the party! I thought you'd been carried off!" A large burly viking states. He replaces blades with a hammer connected where his hand should be. Hiccup scoffed. "What, who me? Nah, come on! I'm waaay too muscular for their taste. They wouldn't know what to do with all..." he gestured to himself, flexing his arms in a masculine way. "...this."
"Well they need toothpicks, don't they?" He remarked as Hiccup set to work, sharpening blades and handing vikings replacement weapons.

"The meat-head with attitude and interchangeable hands is Gobber. I've been his apprentice since I was little. Well...littler."

Stoick ordered the vikings. "We move to the lower defences. We'll counter-attack with the catapults!" A dragon swoops down and sets another house on fire.

"See? Old village, lots and lots of new houses."

A bunch of vikings carrying buckets of water run by the blacksmith shop. Glancing out the window, Hiccup realises they were the other teenagers of Berk.

"Oh that's Fishlegs, Snotlout, the twins Ruffnut and Tuffnut, and...Astrid. Oh their job is so much cooler."

As they walk by, Hiccup leans out of the smithing window to get a better look. However, Gobber grabs him by his shirt and lifts him up and back into the shop. Hiccup groans. "Oh, come one. Let me out, please? I need to make my mark!" He pleads. Gobber sets him down again. "Oh you've made plenty of marks, all in the wrong places!" The blacksmith pokes Hiccup in the chest, motioning for him to get back to work.
But Hiccup wasn't gonna go down that easily. "Please, two minutes. I'll kill a dragon. My life will get infinitely better." He gestures outside to the other vikings. "I might even get a date!"
Gobber starts listing all the things Hiccup couldn't do, "You can't lift a hammer, you can't swing an axe, you can't even throw one of these!" The Blacksmith lifts a bola, which a viking grabs and uses to bring down a Gronckle.
Hiccup backs up toward a wooden machine. His invention. "Okay, fine, but this will throw it for me." He stated, patting the invention proudly. He backs away as it jolts, sending a bola randomly through the window. The bola hits a viking standing in the background, knocking him unconscious. Gobber sighs, exasperated. "See, now this right here is what I'm talking about!" He cries angrily, approaching the stuttering teenager. "Mild calibration issue-"
"Don't you-no-Hiccup. If you ever want to get out there and fight dragons, you need to stop all..." he passes, gesturing to Hiccup. "...this."
Hiccup's shoulders sunk, astonished at the blacksmiths answer. "But you just pointed to all of me!" Gobber nodded, prodding the teenager in the chest once again. "Yes! That's it! Stop being all of you!"
Hiccup glares at the blacksmith angrily. "Ohhh..." he replied threateningly. Gobber mimicked him, as Hiccup started shaking out of anger. "You, sir, are playing a dangerous game. Keeping this much raw...vikingness contained. There will be consequences!"
Gobber, however, wasn't threatened by Hiccup's outburst. "I'll take my chances." Reaching toward the counter, he lifts up a sword, dropping it in Hiccups outstretched arms. "Sword. Sharpen. Now."
Hiccup took it begrudgingly, carrying it over to the grinding wheel. He fantasied about all the dragons he would get to kill when he was finally allowed to get out into battle.

"One day, I'll get out there. Because killing a dragon is everything around here."

As he worked, Hiccup went over all the notes on dragons he'd learned.
Nadders attacked sheep, while Gronckles stole racks of fish and a Zippleback ignited a house, blowing it up.

"A Nadder head is sure to get me at least noticed. Gronckles are tough. Taking down one of those would definitely get me a girlfriend. A Zippleback? Exotic. Two heads, twice the status. And then there's the Monstrous Nightmare. Only the best vikings go after those. They have this nasty habit of setting themselves on fire."

A Monstrous Nightmare climbs up the catapult, setting itself alight and growling ferociously. Stoick orders the other vikings to reload the catapults, before battling the Nightmare.

"But the ultimate prize is the dragon no one's ever seen. We call it the-"

A high-pitched whistle rings out throughout the night. Vikings panic as they realised what it was.
"NIGHTFURY! GET DOWN!"
From out of nowhere, an explosion tears the catapult apart.

"This thing never steals food, never shows itself and never misses. No one has ever killed a Nightfury. That's why I'm going to be the first."

Gobber changes his hammer to an axe, limping over to the exit. "Man the fort Hiccup. They need me out there!" The blacksmith turns at the doorway, motioning for Hiccup to stay. "Stay. Put. There. You know what I mean." With that, Gobber ran out, letting out a battle cry as he charged into battle.