Chapter 3: The Great Hall

In the Great Hall, Stoick was busy talking to the vikings of Berk, telling them about his plan to be rid of the dragons once and for all. "It's either we finish them, or they'll finish us! It's the only way we'll be rid of them! If we find the nest and destroy it, the dragons will leave. They'll find another home! One more search. Before the ice sets in." The chief grabs a dagger, piercing it through the heart of the dragon nest on the map. Many vikings weren't so sure on the idea. "Those ships never come back..." One viking muttered aloud. Stoick looked around the room. "We're Vikings! It's an occupational hazard! Now who's with me?"
Mumbles floated about the room as vikings made excuses to not go. Stoick knew exactly how to change all their minds. "Alright. Those who stay will look after Hiccup."
Immediately, all the vikings held their hands in the air, not wanting to look after the chaotic and destructive teen. "That's more like it."
As the vikings dispersed, Gobber stood up, stretching. "Right, I'll pack my undies." He declared, but was interrupted by Stoick. "No, I need you to stay and train some new recruits." He ordered. Gobber rolled his eyes as he sat back down. "Oh, perfect. And while I'm busy, Hiccup can cover the stall. Molten steel, razor sharp blades, lots of time to himself... what could possibly go wrong?" He replied sarcastically, preparing himself another drink. Stoick groaned. "What am I going to do with him, Gobber?" He muttered quietly. They heard someone mumbling and walking up to them. Looking up, Stoick realised it was Hilda. "And how's your boy goin Hilda?" He asked, rubbing his head. Hilda sighed. "I don't know what I'm going to do with him..."
"Aight, guess we have two new recruits."
Stoick and Hilda gave the Blacksmith a funny look. "We're serious Gobber." Stoick stated. The smith turned to the chief. "So am I!"
"Hiccup would be killed before you let the first dragon out of its cage."

"No, you don't know that." Gobber replied.
"No, actually, I do."

"No, you don't!"
Hilda watched the two friends, smiling slightly and shaking her head. Men sometimes.
Stoick stood up, pacing around the room. "Listen, you know what he's like. From the time he could crawl he's been... different. He doesn't listen, he has the attention span of a sparrow... I take him fishing and he goes hunting for... for trolls!"
Gobber interrupted the distressed chief. "Trolls exist! They steal your socks! But only the left ones. What's with that?" He mutters the end part, turning back to his mug.
"When I was a boy..." Stoick began. Gobber groaned. "Oh, here we go." Stoick ignored him. "My father told me to bang my head against a rock, and I did it. I thought it was crazy, but I didn't question him. And you know what happened?"
Gobber had dug around in his mug, pulling out his stone tooth. "You got a head-ache." He grumbled, tapping the stone back into place.
Stoick, once again, ignored his comment. "That rock split in two. It taught me what a Viking could do, Gobber. He could-- He could crush mountains, level forests, tame seas! Even as a boy, I knew what I was, what I had to become." He sighed, sitting back down. "Hiccup is not that boy."

"You can't stop him, Stoick." Gobber butted in. Hilda placed a hand on his shoulder. "Gobber's right, Stoick. You can only prepare him." Gobber continued, glad that Hilda was on his side on this one. "Look, I know it seems hopeless. But the truth is you won't always be around to protect him. He's going to get out there again. He's probably out there now."