Chapter 12: Dragon Attack

All was silent in the woods, all except a pair of footsteps on dry leaves as they made their way down the path, away from the village. Aster looked up from the Dragon Manual, looking around at his surroundings. Noticing he was alone, he let his shoulders relax.

Wandering further into the woods, he almost tripped on something. Letting out a loud curse, his eyes gazed at the oddly coloured stone barely sticking out of the dirt.
"Wha-what is this?" He questioned, digging it out. Holding it up to the sun, Aster took note of the emerald green colour. It was about the size of a coin, in an oval-like shape. Tracing his fingers along the strange markings, Aster didn't notice the creature sneaking up on him.
"What...are you...?"
A loud snap resounded throughout the woods. Leaping to his feet, Aster only had enough time to dodge a stream of fire. He let out a yelp as a set of claws dug into shoulders. Looking up, he realised it was a Hideous Zippleback. Two heads, one body.
"AY- GET OFF ME YOU SLIMY PIECE OF-" He was cut off as the Zippleback pushed him to the ground, squeezing the air out of him. As he struggled underneath the dragon, his life flashed before his eyes.
Oh Thor-Oh Thor this is it! I'm gonna be eaten alive-
A loud scream mixed with a terrified war cry came from behind him. Looking up, Aster caught sight of a terrified Snotlout running out of the bushes.
The Zippleback, not expecting a second human, flew off, scared away by the viking show. As he was catching his breath, Aster hid the stone in his pocket.
"Hey, are you ok?" The buffier teen asked, holding out his hand to help his classmate to his feet. Aster ignored the help, standing up by himself. "I'm fine." He grumbled, brushing himself off. Just as he was walking away, Snotlout called after him. "Hey! You didn't even say thank you! I just saved your life! I'm a hero now!....right?"
Pausing for a moment, Aster turned to face the viking. "Thank you, Snotlout, for saving my life." He bowed sarcastically. Snotlout didn't pick up on the sarcasm. "Yeah, you're welcome. I just did that." He gloated. Rolling his eyes, Aster left the boasting teen, heading back home.

Once he was safely inside his own home, he opened the Dragon Manual, taking the odd stone out of his pocket as he did so. "I'll look for an answer about you tomorrow. Tonight though, it's time for some studying before heading to the watch tower."