Chapter 11: Forbidden Friendship

Hiccup was back in the cove. This time, though, he carried a shield for protection, and a fish for the Nightfury. Peeking through the rocks, he looked around carefully. Throwing the fish out into the cove, he waited for a few seconds. Seeing no sign of the dragon, he attempted to walk forward, the shield out to block anything that might attack him. But as he stepped forward, the shield was stuck between the boulders. After a moment of trying to loosen it, he decided to leave it behind.

Stepping out into the cove, he felt vulnerable as he picked up the fish, carefully trekking further into the cove. As he looked around, he heard a low hiss come from behind him. Hiccup gasped as the Nightfury came into view.
It crept toward him, sniffing the air hungrily as it eyed the fish. Suddenly stopping, it growled at the boy as it spotted something glittering on his vest. Hiccup, startled, opened his vest, revealing the knife he had hidden away. The beast growled louder, and Hiccup hurriedly pulled out the knife and dropped it on the ground beside him. The dragon motioned his head aside, signifying he kick it away. The teen did so, and the dragon watched as it fell into the pond. Now that the weapon was gone, it sat down, a curious expression covering its features as it watched Hiccup.
Holding out the fish, Hiccup watched the dragon once again carefully creep towards him, its hungry eyes looking between the fish and the boy.
Once it was close enough, it held its mouth open, revealing toothless gums. Hiccup was fascinated. "Huh. Toothless..." he wondered. "I could've sworn you had-"
The dragons teeth appeared, as it snatched the fish out of his hand. Hiccup gasped, holding his hands close to him as he watched the dragon eat. "...teeth."
Looking down at him, the Nightfury approached him. Hiccup backed up into a rock, frightened. "Uh, uh, no, no, no. I-i don't have anymore." He whispered.
The dragon tilted its head. Letting out a gagging sound, it regurgitated half the fish it just ate, dropping it into the boys lap. With that, it sat on its haunches and waited.
There was an awkward few moments as Hiccup was confused to what the dragon wanted. When the Nightfury looked at the fish then back at him, he realised what it was waiting for.
With a sigh, he took a bite of the fish. "Hmm..." he held the fish out, nodding his head as if saying it was thank you.
The Nightfury swallowed. With an exasperated sigh, Hiccup copied the dragon, shivering at the taste of the fish. The Nightfury tilted its head, pleased that the teen finally accepted his gift.
Hiccup gave the dragon a smile.
The beast opened it's mouth, copying Hiccup's "smile". Hiccup, staring in wonder, held out his hand to the beast.
The Nightfury snarled, darting away to the other side of the cove. When it landed, it ignited a small patch of dirt. Laying down, it was about to fall asleep, when a birds tweet came from nearby. Glancing up, it stared longingly at the bird as it flew away, before realising the boy was merely a few feet away from him, holding out his hand to touch him. Growling, the dragon stood up, walking away from the boy to get some sleep.

About an hour later, Hiccup sat on a rock drawing the Nightfury, his back to said dragon. As he drew, he felt something breathe down his neck. He tensed up, not daring to turn around and continued drawing in the dirt with the stick.
The Nightfury watched the boy drawing for a minute, fascinated by his accuracy. Stepping back, he wandered off, leaving the teen alone for a moment. Hiccup was curious, and upon turning around, found the dragon had ripped a tree from the ground, and was now drawing on the ground all around him.
The teen watched, amazed by the Nightfuries intelligence.
When the dragon was finished, Hiccup stood up, deciding it was time to leave. He accidentally stepped on the drawing. The dragon growled, and Hiccup quickly retreated. The dragon stopped growling, giving the teen an approving purr. Hiccup got an idea. Placing his foot on the drawing, there was once again another growl from the dragon. Hiccup lifted his foot a few times, before finally stepping over the drawing.
Stepping over the maze of lines, he didn't realise how close he'd gotten to the Nightfury. As he backed up against something, he felt something breathe down upon him once again.
Lifting his eyes, he was now face to face with the dragon. Reaching out his hand, the dragon growled, warning him off. Taking in a deep breath, Hiccup closed his eyes, turned his head away, and once again reached out his hand.
The dragon looked at his hand in wonder, before finally pushing its snout into his hand.
Peeking back to the Nightfury, Hiccup only had enough time to stare in amazement before the dragon snorted and flew away.
Speechless, Hiccup left the cove, making his way back to Berk.