Chapter Ten: Struggles

Riya P.O.V

        This was it. It had to be! Today was the day that I, Riya was finally going to be mated! It was weird really... after all I had gone through to find my mate that she somehow didn't care for me as much as I cared for her...... No matter. I grinned wickedly.

      Vixen wouldn't be able to reject me after I showed  what I was all about. Kendra had arranged some way for Vixen and I to meet up again so I was uber excited. Then I remembered what she had said to me..

                "Vixen will be a tough nut to crack Riya.. She isn't that appreciative of mates. I just wanted to let you know that, as well as the fact that me and Vixen's little sister will do whatever it takes to get the two of you together!"

        She had flipped her hair and laughed, completely over the fact that Vixen probably didn't like me that much.

         Thinking about it now gave me some chills but I had to shake them off. One way or another I would be mated at the end of the week!

Vixen P.O.V

        I couldn't believe what happened yesterday. I seethed inwardly. Did the fates hate me that much? They put my pack through the worst and just when I thought it was getting better I had to go and find my mate. I shook my head.

        When I was younger I was foolish enough to believe in an ever after, that my prince charming, my mate would come and sweep me off my feet. That was four years ago.... thinking about it now made me wince at the cliche. Of course, now I did have my mate. Depsite the fact I really didn't want a mate I felt slightly relieved that I wasn't as broken as I had thought previously, that somehow the whole mating thing had skipped right over me. Not that it mattered much. 

        I might have felt slightly awed yesterday by her, enough was enough. I vowed to myself that no mattered what happened I would come out of this single.

Riya P.O.V

        I had just recieved another text from Kendra.

                Hey Gurl :) How's it going?

        I quickly typed back. Pretty good. You?

                Pretty Good. Btw, I totally have a great date for you and Vixen planned }:-)

                You do? Cool! When and where?

                Still figuring that out. Hang in there Riya! 

                K. Talk to you later Kendra. 

        The phone fell silent and I guessed she was probably busy with pack business. Luckily, I was just the Alpha's daughter and all that was expected of her was to attend all the parties and big gatherings. Well, that and marry an Alpha and have babies. Ugh.

        At least I had found my mate, and she was an alpha. Winnning her over should be easy! Right? I quickly shrugged that off. Of course it would be easy, but for now I should concentrate on getting to pack training on time. I did not need to give Jennie the Almighty Trainer another excuse to hate me. I rolled my eyes as I walked to the door, already hearing her shout something about "Riya" and "Late". Great. Just great.

        "Well look who it is. Are you ever on time Riya?" Jennie growled at me.

        "I have been a little busy Jennie." I sighed unwilling to get into a fight now. I had more important things to deal with right now.

        "Too busy for practice? Then I suppose you can stay after to run fifteen laps around the field." She put her hands on her hips, "Without shifting."

        Darn, Darn, Darn. I winced wishing I had not shifted the first time. I stayed quiet though, knowing if I spoke up it would make it worse.

        "Nothing to say? Huh, that's a change" Jennie sneered at me.

        "Oh, just stop it." Steven muttered angrily at her, "What did she ever do to you?"

        Jennie looked at him and smiled sweetly. He blinked as if he hadn't expected that reaction. Then she turned back to me and kept that smile on her face but her eyes said that she absolutely hated me for having Steven on my side. Well, if her paranoid mind wanted to think that way I would just encourage it.

        I leaned into Steven's side keeping my eyes on Jennie the entire time. Of course, Steven's natural reaction was to put his arms around me. She shot me a look that should have burned me to the ground. She turned away with a shudder and I left Steven's arms. Didn't want to give him any ideas.

        I realized just then that I had been in my own little world and that the rest of the were-teens were just staring. I clenched my teeth together. Couldn't anyone mind their own business?

        "Class. We are going to be touching up on running in a pack." Every word Jennie spoke came through gritted teeth. It sounded like: Class. We. Are. Going. To. Be. Touching. Up. On Running. In a Pack.

        "Everyone follow me".

        Everyone. Follow. Me. She was probably going to crack one of her teeth talking like that. At least I did not have to suffer through any more defense training. After every defense training I felt like a tank had decided to drive over my back a couple times.

        Everyone shifted. I supposed what we were about to do is practice going on a patrol like the adults did.  They would form a pattern like a group of migrating birds did and they would move as one. When I was younger I used to be amazed, as if the entire pack was one body, the leader as the mind.

        Jennie arranged herself at the head and barked out orders. You there, yeah you. Behind me. Steven behind me as well. Then we will have you, you, and you behind Steven. Perfect. Oops looks like there is an odd number. Guess Riya will have to sit this one out. Her wolf smiled, yellowing teeth peeking out from her furry lip. Her eyes glowed brighter and she barked out a laugh. One word echoed through all our minds. Revenge.

        I shook my wolfy head slightly sad. How did she know I really liked this part of training.. Oh well. At least I wouldn't have to work and I could maybe be awed once more by the formation of the pack. I was just starting to make the best of the scenario when they took off.

        They looked like a hive of hornets bumbling around angrily. Nothing like what I remembered from my childhood. Then again, the "brain" was Jennie, so it made sense it was deformed. I giggled to myself like the idiot I was. Well, while they are busy I would just quickly change back and put on clothes. Unlike some people, I was pretty modest about myself.

        Just as I had finished putting on my pants, my cellphone vibrated in my butt pocket It was from Kendra. Wasn't like anyone else would text me. 

        I have her @ the Starbucks where we had coffee that 1 time. Can't delay much longer. Hurry!

        Crap. It was the middle of training.. but wasn't my mate more important? I was going to pay for it later, so while the trainees went running willy nilly in the worst formation ever..... I took off for the Starbucks.

        I took off my clothes, grabbed them with my teeth and took off before anyone would notice. I would have to be extra careful in the suburbs where the Starbucks was.... but anything was worth it if it meant I could see Vixen.