Chapter Sixteen: Acceptance

Riya P.O.V

Ugh. My head hurt so much. And where was I?

I was pretty much cocooned in a big fuzzy black blanket. It smelled tantalizingly of Vixen. That was it. I was in hell. I had died and my brain had decided to torture me with something I could never have. 

"Riya?" 

There she was. Staring down at me worriedly. Black hair looking a little messy. The look suited her.  Definitely in heaven. Did I say I was in hell? I take that back. 

"Angel......" I murmured. It had to be one. One that looked exactly like Vixen, because I was obviously dead. 

"Riya. Everything is going to be okay baby." She sat down beside me and held me.

"No. This isn't how it was supposed to be. I was supposed to meet with Evan and then not mate him and live by myself..... alive."

Her eyebrows shot up. "Riya, baby you are alive. And I am going to stay with you for the rest of your life."  

Wait. What? I don't think my brain was working right. Somehow her words magically turned into whatever I wanted to hear. She couldn't possibly be accepting me. 

"You don't know how scared I was for you. When I thought you were going to ......" her pained expression said it all, "die. I never thought I was going to say this but maybe... we should give this whole mate thing a try."

"Vixen..... you don't mean that." This was the hardest thing ever. "You may want me now, after a tragedy, but what happens during the summer days? When you don't care anymore? I don't..... I can't handle that kind of rejection." 

She looked shocked. "Riya. Please. I don't think I can live without you." She shook me. 

"Maybe you should have thought of that when you walked away in the first place. Just because you saved me doesn't change anything. You don't want a mate, and you are not going to have one." I didn't even think I had a heart anymore. All that was coming from my mouth was what my brain was forcing me to say. 

"I walked away," she took a deep breath, "because I am no good for you."

"Yeah. You said that before. What does that mean? What does any of this mean?" I picked at the edges of the blanket.

"Look there are certain parts of my.... past. I can never share them, and I felt like I would only end up hurting you."

I looked away from her entrancing brown eyes. Liquid chocolate. 

"Could anything hurt more..... then you walking away again?" 

"Riya!" she wrapped her arms around me and she kissed me for the first time. 

Her lips were like satin against mine, and they warmed my own. I felt happy. As if she had never walked away........ but how did I know this was what she really wanted?

So I put my hands on her shoulders and pushed. She staggered back slightly, and the place were her hands had warmed my back felt bitterly cold now. 

She put her hands on both sides of my face and turned my head towards her. 

"Hear me out Riya. This is what I want. I can give up my past for you, Riya. I swear it. Please say that you accept me. We can be mates right away, and nothing would make me happier. It would fix your pack too. We can rule your pack together." 

Vixen. I loved her. I loved her brazen dark look. I loved her compassion, when she wasn't so hard on herself. I loved her. 

"Yes, Vixen. I will mate you. I loved you from the moment I met you. I loved your eyes, your hair, your amazing personal-"

My words were cut off because my lips suddenly became pretty busy. I was utterly boneless in her arms. My head was held up by her hand because I could barely hold it up when her lips touched mine.

"Riya..... " she murmured against my lips. I thought she said something else too. Something like 'I love you.' Either that was what she said or my mind had made that up. Whichever it was, she was showing me what she couldn't say with words. I love you her lips said as they moved against mine. I love you her hands said as they move up and down my back, leaving tingles of awareness. I love you said her wolf teeth as they pierced the side of my neck.

Marking me as hers forever. A typical mate marking. I felt like I could stay like this in her arms forever. And I did.