Chapter Eleven: Starbucks Again

Kendra P.O.V

I had just sent a text to Riya telling her when and where to meet when Vixen came storming up to me.

"Kendra..." She stated calmly. That could not be a good sign. We were just about to leave to Starbucks. Did she somehow find out we were meeting Riya there?

"What?" I nervously tugged on my purse. What is Riya was already there?

"Why do I have to go out? I have important things to do here. The only person who seems to care about our tribe is me!"

"Well." I giggled slightly trying not to seem too suspicious, "We need to get out gurl. Everyone needs to relax. Besides, maybe you can meet someone who will help out when we go into town."

She eyed me, her eyes squinting, "Anyone particular in mind?"

"No, but ya know, meeting new people is always good, and maybe one or two of those people can actually help and...." And I was rambling. Stop it Kendra. Before you blow it. "And I just need a break or I am going to lose my mind!" That seemed about right.

Vixen gave a grudging sigh and nodded. "Alright." Of course, she would have to be stupid to not notice something was up. Hopefully, she did not know exactly what. If she did, she would never agree to come with me to Starbucks. It also helped that I had Nina on my side.

"Vixen you go out and have loooooots of fun!" Nina giggled, twirled in a circle and fell down, laughing. Vixen softened a bit, and I knew I had her hooked. Now to reel her in.

"Besides... Who doesn't love a good iced caramel macchiato?"

She smiled, a rare thing, and we headed to the car. Riya, here we come.

Riya P.O.V

Once I reached the outskirts of the city, I shifted back and put on my clothes. Luckily, everyone was inside on this warm afternoon so no one was able to see me. Why was I so self-conscious? My brain told me it was because I was a girl. My heart told me I wanted to look my best for Vixen. I blushed.

Hopefully, they would still be there by now, it would take a couple minutes to walk. Curse these human feet. I quickened my pace.

Then again, knowing Vixen she would stall till the last second. That was fine. The sooner she accepted me the better off we would both be. Couldn't she see we looked so perfect together? Or maybe that was my wolf talking.

What I really wanted to do was just curl up in her arms and stay there forever. Even though I hadn't known her for long I felt safe with her and never wanted to leave her side. Could anyone possibly know how I feel?

I looked up and I could see the sign for Starbucks that I was striding to. I nearly tripped over a crack in the sidewalk as I focused on that familiar green logo. I could not even count the amount of times I had come to this place...... and now I got to see my mate where I was at my happiest; where she could become a part of my life.

Right before I got to the Starbuck's parking lot, Kendra's car pulled up and she waved at me frantically. As if she wanted to me to hide. Why should I hide from my mate? I was about to do what she said when I caught a whiff of something unbelievably Vixen. The smell of rain, and chocolate mixed into one. I never would have thought those two to mix but if anyone could pull it off, it was Vixen.

Vixen P.O.V

I knew that Kendra hadn't just brought me here to have some coffee, I wasn't stupid, but the thought of a good coffee really did lure me over here. We were almost to Starbucks; the houses flashing by and I could smell the coffee already. It had been a while.

Despite what Kendra thought, I did like to get out occasionally. In fact, I wasn't all that sure why I had been really grouchy towards her this morning. It was probably because I had a dream that starred Riya. Darn blonde haired, sharp eyed, luscious lips, Riya. I had to stay focused. Coffee. We were going to get coffee.

We pulled into the parking lot and in my peripheral vision I say Kendra wave frantically. What was that all about? I couldn't tell who she was waving to. Then a different smell overpowered that of the coffee.

A smell of flower petals, and freshwater. I wasn't much of an outdoorsy type but I took a deep breath in, and closed my eyes. Wait a minute. I opened my eyed. Why was the suburbs smelling like this?

That's why Kendra forced me over here. To meet up with Riya. I could feel her presence as much as I could smell her. Why would Kendra do this to me? I didn't have time for a mate. Even this excuse seemed feeble right now. Which is why I shouldn't ever see her. I wouldn't accept her because I didn't want her, but I wouldn't reject her because it would hurt my wolf too much. And I needed my wolf because I was a fighter. This would be so much easier if instead of refusing something my wolf wanted, I was fighting a bloody war.

"Vixen?" I heard Riya's bell-like voice reverberate through me. I wanted to leave but for the moment, I was being pulled out of the car by Kendra and pushed into Starbucks with Riya trailing right behind.

As Kendra ordered drinks for all three of us, I sat straight across from Riya. She smiled tentatively at me and I was entranced. I tried to resist, but for some reason my wolf didn't want to. I mentally prepared for what would probably be the worst struggle of my life. Which was saying a lot.