Chapter Nine: Masquerade

Sorry I took some time to update I had some problems with my account. Anyways, forget about that, sit back and enjoy!! :D

Kendra P.O.V

        Either it was my imagination or Vixen had totally got the scent of her mate. And was trying to run in the opposite direction. Then she inhaled deeply as I struggled to pull her foward and she closed her eyes..... and stopped struggling.

        "Vixen- girl.. You okay?"

Vixen P.O.V

        "Yes.. It's.. It's nothing." I shrugged out of Kendra's grip and shuffled foward as if pulled foward by an invisible string. One that was connected to my mate.

        What was I doing?!?! I didn't want- didn't need a mate. My feet had a mind of their own though, and were continuing to slowly walk along Kendra to the doors. And through them.

        Leaning on the wall next to the door was a beautiful girl. With blond hair and a fair complexion she was sleeping, her gentle breaths rocking her shoulders back and forth.... and my mind exploded. If she wasn't my mate I would have passed right by her, never to give her a moments thought. I couldn't help but feel that I wanted to pick her up and carry her away.

        Mine. MINE MINE MINE! My wolf was screaming at me, threatening to phase right then and there to take her. 

        No, no, NO!  I screamed back inwardly to my wolf. I could not let her take control or my wolf would accept my mate and I would be stuck with her. My wolf soothed back Would that be so bad? 

        Yes. Yes it would be.        

        From the position on the wall my mate whimpered. I just wanted to run up and hug and cuddle her to take her pain- Wait NO. I do not, want a mate, I don't want a mate, I don't. Ever.

        Kendra was staring at me like I had grown two pairs of horns so using all my willpower I walked in the direction of the party. Away from my mate. Every step felt like I was shoving splinters into my toenails, and scalding my soul. How could a person possibly be the cause of this? Much less a girl that looked barely into her teens. She couldn't possibly be even close to my age, and I was 18!!! Then Kendra stopped me.

        "No wait, Riya is the were-girl I wanted you to meet. I met her at the club the other night!"

        Everything fell into place. Kendra had gotten my mate's number on a napkin at the club. A rush of white hot possivness flooded my body at that thought. My mate. Mine. Riya is my mate.No, I had to stop referring to her as my mate. 

        My mind flashed back to the napkin in the trash. Why oh why hadn't I taken it?? No. No. No. I would no longer give this girl any thought. We could be friends, and I could let Kendra introduce her but she would be nothing more to me.

Riya P.O.V

        I was having a nightmare where a big wolf, the color of midnight was chasing me.  The wolf was snarling angrily as if it didn't even want to chase me. I tripped and fell over a root and it reared up. I whimpered, not wanting to die, yet not wanting to phase to hurt this wolf. I felt a strange connection to it. Which was the scariest thing of all.

        It glanced at me. As if it just wanted to run away. As if it hadn't wanted to chase me at all. So why did that make me sad? It roared in my face, a single strand of drool like a tear dripped onto my neck. I squeezed my eyes shut hoping for it to just end.