Chapter Five: Tribe Snapping Rogues

Kendra P.O.V

     "Where have you been?" I winced at those words. I hadn't exactly told Vixen I had been out late partying. "Kendra answer me."

    "Vixen, girl I was relaxing. Do you have a problem with that?" I  mumbled uneasily. Vixen's rage was terrible. 

    "Yes, Yes I do. As if things weren't bad enough what with the other pack's hating our tribe and protecting our territory from the real rogues..." She trailed off and closed her eyes. She inhaled deeply. 

    "Vixen?"

    "It's nothing." Vixen turned and waved me away and gratefully I backed out of her small office. I really did like this tribe, this pack but it was a pretty sad small one. In fact, Vixen, Nina, and I were it's sole inhabitants. Everyone was being worked thin and Vixen, our Alpha was especially worried about Nina her little sister because Nina couldn't shift yet. 

    "Kendra?" A smallish voice rose to greet me in the main room of our 3 room shack. 

    I lifted my chin and put on a brave face for the girl, "Hey Nina, my main were-girl wassup?"

    "I am worried about Vixen. She has had sooo much on her plate and I wish I could just make it allll better." Nina's lower lip quivered as if she were about to cry, but she didn't. 

   "So am I Nina, So am I." For one who was only ten Nina sure picked up on a lot. She was very intelligent. 

    "But I thought of a solution!" Nina pranced around excitedly. 

    "And what would that be little dumpling?" And where did she get the word 'solution' from?

    "Vixen needs a mate!" She halted and grinned wildly, "A mate for Vixen would make everything better because she would have someone to help her! A Beta even!"

    I smiled and shook my head, "Were you reading the were-wolf self-help book again?" Unfortunately, Vixen really hadn't supplied Nina with books so Nina had started reading our pack books. Not exactly child reading material.

    "Yes I was and it would be a perfect solution." She giggled and ran around. 

    Hooo Boy. If there was one thing that Vixen was against it was mates. Me and her had that conversation plenty of times and it had always ended with Vixen screaming about how guys were idiots and that mates were useless good-for-nothings that made a person weak. I wished I could find my mate. 

    "I am going to go and tell her that right now!" Nina ran off and I inwardly winced. This was not going to be good at all. 

    "Wait Nina!" I called out and thought about it a milisecond, "I'll come with you." I heard her excited squeaks coming from the little corridor that separated the three rooms on our shack and I jogged to catch up. 

    Together we pushed into Vixen's office again. Vixen narrowed her eyes at me. I gulped. Clearly, she was not happy that I had spent all of last night at several clubs. I had met a few guys, had a few; well no more that a few drinks, and danced like a wild animal. I shook that thought away as Vixen growled at our intrusion. 

    "What is it now Kendra? Can you not see that I am busy?"

    "Vixen, big sistah, I thought up a solution for your problem." She beamed up at Vixen and Vixen sighed. Despite what it seemed Vixen really did love Nina. 

    Nina hopped up on Vixen's lap and smiled proudly, as if she had won the lottery. "All you have to do is find your mate."

    Vixen all but threw Nina off her lap, "A mate?!?!? Never! Mate's slow a person down and as Alpha I refuse to be slowed down! Let us not discuss this anymore." She closed her eyes and sniffed again. Man, what was up with her today? I didn't wear any different perfume than I usually did. 

    "But big sistah a mate could help you, and be your Beta." Nina made big puppy dog eyes that usually got her what she wanted. 

    "No Nina. This conversation is over." Nina's spirits fell and she hung her head. She walked slowly out of the room looking back occasionally as if Vixen would tell her that she was just kidding and she would get a mate straight away. That didn't happen.

    When she was finally out of the room Vixen glared at me her pupils dilated. Crap. 

Vixen P.O.V

        Kendra looked genuinely scared. She backed away slightly but I couldn't help but close my eyes and inhale a scent that near drove my senses mad. What was that?

    "What perfume are you wearing?" The words game gratingly out from my clenched teeth. 

    "U-Uhm... my normal one." How was that possible? How could something smelled so good?

    Then I noticed that the smell was also coming from her hand bag. I snatched it up.

    "Hey! You may be my Alpha but that doesn't mean you can snoop through my...."

    I held up a napkin that was positively soaked with the scent. I held it up to my nose and sniffed. I nearly drooled at the delicious scent.

    "I think I got that from one of the people I met at the club..." she murmurred as if to herself, as if trying to remember exactly who. I frowned and held it up. A cell number danced in front of my eyes and as if in a dream I felt a connection. A connection that seared my blood and made my heart pound. Whoever who had given this to her...... was my mate.