Chapter Twelve: Conversation

Riya P.O.V

She was sitting here. Right in front of me. That clear-eyed, black haired beauty that I could call my mate. As soon as she accepted me. She caught me staring at her. She looked a little startled.

What should I talk about? Here we are finally, and I could not think of a single thing to say. As her about work, Riya. Everyone has something to say about work.

"Sooooooo..... How's the work as an Alpha going?" I casually asked.

She sighed, "It's going okay. More trouble on our territory, but who doesn't have trouble with intruders?" It was true. Rogues have been a big problem lately. "Speaking of which I should really have been at the base keeping an eye on it......." She glared at Kendra who was coming back with the coffee.

Kendra ignored it and passed us each our drinks. Vixen directed a question to her."Has that one male rogue crossed our border since I checked this morning?"

"No, the scent was stale so I really doubt that he crossed again. Those scratches you gave and received really put him off. " Kendra frowned into her drink and changed the subject, "Awww... they didn't put enough whipped cream in my cappuccino. I thought I said extra whipped cream." She took a sip of her drink anyways, as if it didn't matter all that much.

I totally ignored Kendra's last statement. Vixen had been hurt? "Are you okay? Have you healed yet?"

Vixen glanced at me "I'm fine. A few scratches never hurt anybody... and yes, I am healed. Something would be really wrong if I hadn't."

I looked at her deadpan expression, "Why do people always say that? A few scratches could get infected and potentially kill you! One of my pack members almost died from a 'few scratches'!" I ranted and she looked very uncomfortable. As if she had never been told off and/or had someone care like that about her. Well, it was about time that she should get used to it. If I had any say in it at all, I was here to stay. 

"Yeah well...." She looked away and an awkward silence grew. Until Kendra burst out laughing.

"Omigosh... your two faces just then.... I can't get over you expression......" She cut off laughing still, and now Vixen and I had a common enemy. 

"Geez Kendra. Grow up a little." Vixen rolled her eyes but secretly I think she liked Kendra's antics.

"It wasn't THAT funny" I agreed. 

"Maybe not for you two, but sitting here it was HIGH-larious." Her laughing quieted and stopped. Another awkward silence ensued. I decided to be random and spontaneous or else there were probably going to be a lot more silences. I raised my hands and put them together. My left hand on bottom with my right hand on top, thumbs sticking out, the back of my hand up. They looked at me expectantly as if what I was about to say was somehow going to make sense. Nope. Not even close.

I whispered quietly, too quiet at first for them to hear even with wolf hearing. I kept my hands where they were with my thumbs now making little circles.

"What?" Vixen and Kendra asked together.

"AWKWARD TURTLES MAKING BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I got a little carried away and everyone in Starbucks turned in our direction. I blushed a bright red color while Kendra laughed harder; her giggles turning into snorts. Vixen just stared at me as if she didn't know what to do. The rest of Starbucks also stared at me like I had sprouted tentacles.

Vixen P.O.V

Never in my life had much attention been directed towards me; or even relatively close to me. So when the entire room turned to stare at our table I was flummoxed. Bamboozled. And several other confusing words.

If what Riya had done hadn't been so dang adorable and funny I probably would have stormed off right then and there; or at least wanted to disappear. Which was why I was as surprised as Kendra when I laughed. 

"Oh my-Riya- their expressions!" I laughed long and loud as eventually everyone else went back to minding their own business. Riya had probably just startled everyone and made everyone's dreary day a bit more exciting.

At this point, now Kendra was staring at me. Then she winked and laughed right along with me. She was probably really happy at the change in me. Which was why I sobered up as much as possible.

"Geez Riya....." I had to smother the smile beginning to build on my face. At least I had stopped laughing.

She smiled at me, and my heart melted, "I can't help it. Everyone was looking to darn serious." She winked and I felt my heart stop. Her wink was much more potent then Kendra's. Did I expect otherwise?

Here I had come into Starbucks thinking Riya would fight over me and tell me she had to mate her and I would have to fight really hard. It would have pushed me farther away. How was I supposed to resist this fun-loving side of Riya?

Riya finished up her drink and licked her lips. Gosh, she was killing me. "Thanks for treating us to Starbucks Riya, but I had better go."

I bit my lip forcing myself not to beg her to stay longer. Kendra giggled, "Your welcome, Riya. Anytime. Let's do this again." She glanced slyly at me, "Let's do this again, real soon." 

I glared at her, even though I was thinking the same thing. Riya stood up and I followed suit. "Well, I'll see you again Vixen?" She said this in a form of a question. 

Before I could think my traitorous mouth replied. "Sure." I couldn't even be too mad at myself for that because the smile she flashed at me was blinding. Little sparks crept up my fingers and I couldn't resist from pushing a strand of hair back from her face.

"Vixen, you coming?" Kendra butted into our moment. Good thing too, or I would have stayed there forever.