Chapter Fourteen: Bonfire and Run

Vixen P.O.V

This place is killing me. This fire is killing me. My mate is killing me. I had been sitting here on the sandy beach for what seemed like hours in front of a fire, with a rival pack, with little miss Riya cuddled into my side. And I was so close to screaming "Screw it!" and running away with Riya and claiming her. As my mate. Why was I so against mates in the first place? With Riya so close to me I was slowly forgetting why I did not accept her in the first place. 

Then there was this one dude glowering at us from across the campfire. He opened his mouth in a silent snarl.  His eyes pinned me down and I squirmed. Was he jealous? Well, if he wanted Riya then he should just come over and get her. I pushed her away a little as if daring him to come and cuddle with her instead. Riya looked up with hurt eyes. Which I ignored. Obliviously, she did not notice that dude checking her out. 

Red hot jealousy washed over me. What was I even thinking? He would only have her over my dead body. And while I was in this rage, I had to sit and talk to all these stinkin' other werewolves and pretend everything was fine. While inhaling the addictive scent of my mate, pressed up close to me. 

Grrrrrr........

I had to get away. 

Riya P.O.V

The bonfire is such a huge success! Not only is the fire warm and cozy, but so is Vixen! I was leaning into her side and just smelling her dark exotic perfume that was purely my mate. In other words, it was heaven. 

Looking up at her face I noticed she was slightly disgruntled. Then she pushed me away a bit. I pouted a bit. What was wrong with her? I followed her gaze to across the campfire. Steven. Angrily glaring right back. 

Ugh. Why couldn't he just be happy for me? Vixen growled under her breath, so I wrapped my arms around her trying to calm her down. Happily, she seemed to calm a little bit after that. She looked down at me and I gazed up into her eyes.

"Riya....." she whispered brokenly. Her eyes had pain in them for a second before they settled into a stony gaze. She shook her head before pushing me off, this time all the way. 

"I can't do this Riya. I can't have a mate." She looked away and ran a hand through her black hair, frustrated. "I'm not good for you Riya." She slowly got up.

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I whispered desperately  back "You are good for me Vixen. You are my mate and I love you for that. Please. Please don't  do this."

She bit her lip but continued away. I reached out but my body felt frozen in place. I didn't even consider mating with Evan. I had almost considered it when my father had begged but now..... the only person I could see me with is her. And she was leaving me. 

She turned back before leaving and stared at me. "Just. Please. Keep your self safe. For me?" For her, I would have done anything. I shook my head, tears in my eyes. I couldn't keep that promise. For the first time in my life I felt so utterly broken. I felt like doing something crazy.

By the time I had collected my thoughts to reply, she was gone. 

Vixen P.O.V

My brain knew that this was for the best. If I got close to her, I would only hurt her. Like I hurt my mother. I hated myself for that. I didn't deserve happiness. So with a heart shattered I walked away. A heart shattered by my own doing. I had to keep my distance. Maybe some day we could look back on this and laugh. 

Yeah. As if. She was the only person for me. And I had left her behind. I was a coward, but I couldn't go back. 

Back at the pack house, I sat down at my desk. Nina peeped her little head through my door. Then she skipped in happily, and for some reason it grated on my nerves. What right had she to be so happy? Didn't she know the world was a cruel, cruel place? 

"Vixen? Did you have fun with your mate?" She sang happily. 

Something in my brain snapped, "THAT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" I screamed. She stared at me wide eyed. My face was bright red with effort.

Her upper lip quivered and she ran away wailing. Great. Just great. 

I could hear her little voice, "Keeendra! Kendra! Vixen yelled at me. and- and-" She hiccuped sobbing. The sounds got quieter as Kendra probably hugged her or something.  

I shook my head. What kind of monster had I become? First Riya, now Nina. Next thing you know, I will be metaphorically biting Kendra's head off. I got up, as if I had aged thirty years over night. I got up, locked the door and sunk back into my chair heavily. 

Riya. How I missed her already. Thoughts scattered in my brain like a flock of butterflies in the wind. With a sigh, I sunk into a nervous sleep, with warnings in my heart that I ignored. 

Riya P.O.V

Vixen. Vixen, how could you? No. No. It's my fault. I wasn't good enough. I could never hold a goddess like her down to the ground. 

I half smiled into my pillow. Maybe it was for the best. I was laughing, tears streaking down my face. Going to her in the first place was ridiculous. I was better off by myself. 

There is a knock on my door. "Go away." I sobbed. Something was slid under the door and I jumped, startled. I heard a soft padding going doing the hallway stealthily. Everyone else would be in bed by now. Who and what is that? Curious, I got up and snatched the letter, scared something was going to bust the door down. 

Wearily, I staggered back to my bed and sprawled down on it. I felt like crying, yet somehow, I knew that there were no more tears that I could possibly cry. It was a fresh cut still. I had to heal. Yeah, right. 

I carefully unfolded the letter and read the elegant cursive. 

Riya I have an idea to make sure that we don't have to mate. Meet me at the meadow to the south of town at midnight -Evan

Now that my only fail safe had left me, it seemed I had no choice to meet him.

Crap. It was almost midnight now. I carefully opened my window and it creaked loudly. I froze hoping no one noticed. So far, all I could hear are the sounds of loud snores coming from all around the house. Good. 

I landed on the ground lightly from the third story window with the letter in my mouth and I took off, tearing across the grass. As I glanced back I noticed there were no lights on in the house. I thought of telling Steven where I was going just in case. Then I realized something, he was the one who made Vixen uncomfortable last night. He was why she pushed me away. No, I would not be telling him where I was going. He could go screw himself. 

With a pounding pulse I turned back around and ran towards town. Hopefully, Evan would not mind that I was going to be a bit late. Unlike the pack house, the town seemed to be lit up. Only girls that had naughty intentions would be wandering around this late at night, so I stuck to the shadows. Didn't want anyone mistaking me for a call girl.

When I got to the main street that ran south I turned down it and sprinted, a little faster this time because I saw the field, and all I could think of was getting out of mating someone I did not want to mate. No matter how nice Evan was. 

I could see Evan up ahead now, he was pacing back and forth and hadn't noticed me yet. The moon shone on the meadow, and every single shadow was really well defined. If I hadn't been in such a hurry, it would have seemed like a bad omen. 

"Evan..." I whispered and he stopped pacing. 

"Riya. Thank you for coming." he ran a hand through his wavy brown curls.  "I thought maybe the message did not make it to you in time."

"Yeah ok. So you said you had a plan for us to not mate?"

"Yeah. My plan was...." He trailed off.

"What? Your plan was what?"

"Shhh!" He glanced around nervously. "Did you hear that Riya?"

I hadn't heard anything except him not telling me what his plan was.

Evan's eyes widened. "Riya. We are in huge trouble! They found me! I don't know how, but they found me!"

"Oh give me a break Evan"  I rolled my eyes, "Nice try but you can't fool me." Fated words. Right after I said them, snarling wolves broke into the meadow. They flew from the bushes howling. Rogues.