01

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
chapter 1: ( dear diary... )

❝ and i miss my lover, man ❞━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

               "I wish I could've killed the son of a bitch myself

              "I wish I could've killed the son of a bitch myself."

Jane-Anne's despair was replaced with wrath as a scalding fire burned behind her eyes. Her hands were balled into fists stuck to her side as she stood in front of the three teenagers who told them the truth. The whole truth.

"Jane, come sit—" Joseph gestured for his wife as he was still processing the information himself.

"No! He is the reason our daughter is dead!" Her harsh tone soon became a warble. "He deserved everything coming to him. And we can't get her back." She did her best to hold back the tears and took a deep breath, looking back at Deena, Josh, and Sam, who remained quiet. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay, Mrs. Santos," Deena reassured. "You were right, he had what was coming to him."

Josh pursed his lips, debating his next few words. "Mrs. Santos, Beckham told us you were in the Camp Nightwing Massacre."

"Oh, yes." Jane-Anne sniffled and sat back down. "It was...Well, horrible isn't even the only word to describe it. The killer was, what I thought, a nice counselor. But based on what you told me, he was just another innocent boy. What was his name?...Tommy...Tommy Slater." Even saying the name made her wince. "I don't even recall what happened. I think I've chosen to block out the memories as the years went by. It was all a blur. One minute we were having the Color War, the next, we're fleeing to the buses and about a dozen campers were killed. I felt fortunate enough to make it on the bus, but I remember seeing this red headed girl left behind. I tried to tell them to stop the bus, but he wouldn't listen."

"Ziggy."

"Yes. Ziggy..." Jane-Anne's voice trailed off, remembering the night it happened so clearly. "She was very hot-tempered but we managed to get along. We shared a cabin together. God, I remember these girls would always find a way to mess with her. My biggest regret would have to be leaving her behind. I didn't put up much of a fight because I was just so scared, but relieved I was alive. And you said she was doing fine? Last I heard of her was in the papers."