05

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
chapter 5: ( the first shadysider )

❝ if we met at midnight in the hanging tree ❞━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

❝ if we met at midnight in the hanging tree ❞━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

              No one in the Union slept that night. They were either participating in the witch hunt, or hiding in the comfort of their homes. It was mostly the mothers who decided to stay inside. Edmund was one of the very few men that stayed home as well, not only because he didn't believe Sarah was a witch, but to make sure his daughter didn't get tied into any trouble. He knew that she'd do anything to protect her friends, but she was the most important person in his life right now.

In the Salvatore residence, the two members stood against the wall as their home was ransacked. Edmund tried not to show his annoyance as Rosalind kept her arms crossed and glared daggers at all the men.

"This is very inconvenient," Edmund muttered.

Once they had finished, Caleb approached them, making Rosalind raise her eyebrows.

"We told you she isn't here," she snapped.

"We had to make sure," Caleb clarified and took a step closer. "We know how close you and Sarah were. Glad to know we didn't find her hiding in your sleeping chambers." His hand moved to stroke the side of her face as she swatted his arm away, spitting in his face instead.

When he went to retaliate, Edmund was already pushing the boy back against the wall in a defensive manner. "If you touch my daughter again, you'll be needing a new hand, boy."

Elijah patted Edmund's shoulder, making the man reluctantly step away and stand next to Rosalind.

"We'll tell you if we find anything," Elijah stated. "I doubt she could go far."

They all left the house as the family moved to sit at the dining table. It was completely silent. For once, the family felt utterly helpless. Edmund looked at Rosalind before looking at the empty seat in front of him. He could still see Caroline sitting with a bright smile on her face that she wore in the mornings, smelling of fresh loaves of bread she had baked for the town. His eyes moved to Rosalind, his sweet daughter that he almost could've lost. He felt like no leader, only a coward. He couldn't control the town during the meeting and now he felt lost on how to handle his emotions.