04

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
chapter 4: ( gods and monsters )

❝ where the dead man called out for his love to flee ❞━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

               Before the meeting, Isaac had to see Rosalind himself to know she was okay

              Before the meeting, Isaac had to see Rosalind himself to know she was okay. He had to see with his own eyes that she was fine and well. He hid in the murk behind the houses before finding the highest tree behind the Salvatore house and climbing to the top. Through the window, he could see Rosalind sitting on her bed with her head tilted down, her shoulders moving up and down slightly. Isaac knocked softly on the glass, making her jump.

Rosalind quickly opened the window, their faces slightly hidden from each other. "What are you doing here?"

"I had to see if you were okay." She moved aside for him to climb inside.

"It's no use. They've told me I'll be left with this wretched scar for the rest of my life." She sat on the bed, letting her face be concealed by her hair.

Isaac sat on the other side of the bed, not knowing if she was okay with him sitting so close at the moment. "I bet you still look beautiful, no matter what flaw you imagine to have. May I?"

Rosalind took a quiet breath before nodding and moving slightly to the middle of the bed, meeting him halfway. He grabbed her hand first and let his thumb caress over hers for reassurance. He slowly moved his other hand up to her face to remove the bandage, careful not to harm her skin more. There on her face was the jagged line from the hook. The forming scar had become a narrow thread of silver that glowed in the moonlight.

He stared for quite some while, making her move to the other side of the room with shame. "It's dreadful. I can't even look in the mirror without knowing how hideous I am now."

"Rosalind Salvatore, you take that back." Isaac stood up and took her hands in his. "You are and always will be the most beautiful girl in my eyes. There is no other maiden here that could take my eyes away from you. You are perfect."