03

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
chapter 3: ( the man who sold the world )

❝ there's a room where the light won't find you ❞━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

               Despite returning in the dead of night, Rosalind felt she had awoken on a bed of flowers the next morning

              Despite returning in the dead of night, Rosalind felt she had awoken on a bed of flowers the next morning. She barely had received a full night's rest but spent the early morning doing her chores as usual. There was a faint smile across her face as she recalled the few memories she could from the night. As she walked across the settlement, she had come across Abigail, Lizzie, and Isaac, each nodding her way with a knowing glint.

Rosalind shook her head with each further step to the garden. Her mirthful expression was soon replaced with a horrified scream that alarmed everyone.

"The garden's been infested with rats!" She stepped away as others quickly came to aid, taking the rodents away for slaughter most likely. Isaac was the first beside her, pulling her away from the scene.

"What's happened," Sarah's brother, Henry, asked.

"All the vegetables are gone," Rosalind answered. "There won't be enough to feed everyone with the oncoming months."

"The fruits have also rotten," informed Isaac, holding the apple to display the black core.

Rosalind took it in her hand to inspect it. "How is this possible? I've managed them well myself. There's never been a problem before."

"Bad luck seems to trouble us all," Constance chimed.

The small group looked around their colony to realize that the young girl was right. It almost seemed the whole town had went mad. All around were problems from every family. The horses would not tame, nearly injuring one of the men as it stood on its hind legs. At the well, the water had been poisoned after poor Merryboy was pulled out. But who would do such a terrible thing?

A few had their own ideas, most following the words of Mad Thomas as he stood in the middle of the field to share his words. A curse. Darkness had enter the Union and they must find it immediately to rid it forever. There were no suspicions though. Everything and everyone looked as normal as the day before.