Part 2: The World Beyond

The rocky road rattled the carriage you and twenty or so other women from other neighboring districts sat crampt with you in. The driver had already apologized for the small cart and bad road, but there really wasn't anything he could do about that. You all just sat, quietly talking amongst yourselves.

Beside you was a young woman with dark tan skin, standing at over a foot shorter than you. Out of everyone in the carriage, she was probably the smallest, the most petite out of everyone, and sitting next to you, it was just a funny sight to behold. Her name was Kim. That you learned from the others talking to her. You yourself had not spoken the entire ride so far.

"Hey, I don't think we got your name, big girl!" Kim elbowed your side playfully. You just sat there Blushing under the many eyes now prying at your solid exterior for answers.

"Uh.. um- (Y- y- y/n).." You finally spouted from your mouth, hoping that would satisfy the mob. A few smiled a little bit at the sound of your voice. Others didn't really care.

"Well, you sure look like you work out, (Y/n)! What gym do you go to?" Vonnie, a girl inquired; the one with long, black hair sitting sprawled over the wagon floor like it was her royal throne, chewing on some gummies she had brought with her.

"Uh-um...well, I d-don't really go to a gym..exactly." You tongue stumbled over itself. Surely they would get suspicious about this! Humans have to work out much more to get into the kind of physical shape you barely have to do anything to keep.. "I work out at at my house.." You finally forced out a squeezed whisper. Thankfully, that seemed to do the trick. You were allowed to calm down at last when the prying eyes were finally off of you and onto Kim again, who didn't seem to mind the attention. It was probably so easy being a human, not feeling like you have to hide yourself from the rest of the world, lest they kill you in a heartbeat.

As you sat there with a blank face, turning yourself and staring out the window behind you --the benches are all facing inward-- your mind raced to what might be ahead. The city you had spent the last hundred or so years in was by far the calmest regarding Falks to your knowledge. Most the people there know Falks live among them, but simply choose to ignore them. As long as no feathers are shown, no conflict will follow. However, the closer you get to the main city, the capitol of the entire country, the rules, and even people get stricter. And in the main city, you may just as well be already dead than face whatever might be waiting for you there..were your true identity to be discovered...

Nobody must have noticed the absolutely modified expression on your face, as you stared outside at the passing cacti and rocks waving you a final goodbye. All you could really hope for was that no one would remove your backpack and then question the odd shape under your shirt on your back: your wings, and therefore end any hope for your life to carry on in somewhat peace. At last, your dreary eyes shut. Hopefully getting some rest would help you later down the road..

When you woke again, nearly everyone was asleep, all but maybe two others. Everyone else was either resting against the benches like you had, or laying on top of each other in one big heap on the floor. Once open, your eyes took the liberty to look outside again. Only, this time there was something strange on the horizon. From the usual landscape of brown dirt and boring rocks rose what looked like a wave of green!

"Hey- hey, guys, look!" Slowly, young woman after young woman began waking up and gathering at the windows, all looking at the greenery. By the time the last of them were up, the wave had engulfed you. All gasped in awe, likely not having seen such a sight in their entire short human lives. Even you, having once lived in a place where such plants was the norm, couldn't help but gape in awe at the sight.

Golden rays of sun beamed through the thick canopies of trees a hundred or more feet tall. Vines thicker than some people's arms were seen wrapping and intertwining such massive trees together. The branches were large enough to carry small houses. In fact, some of them DID! Entire villages were woven into the very fabric of these trees, some so old they were abandoned, and some teaming with life, humans from up above even waving down as you passed.