Part 25: The Broken One

A cool wind tossed about his hair, its tips tickling his face. Hero's eyelids lifted slowly. He had a minor headache and chest pain, but otherwise appeared to be alright.

What he didn't get was why he was hovering, though...

He looked down and instantly his face paled. "YyyaAAHAHAHAA!" He selfishly grabed hold of whatever it was that kept him afloat. The ground below was so far down that a passing boulder was but a mere speck. "G-GET ME DOWN!" The king shrieked.

"Shut up, man! This is my first time flying too, so don't kill the both of us by flailing!" You warned overhead. Hero peered up, spotting your trained gaze, your eyes sternly watching the rocky floor below.

"Y-you really are a Falk?"

"Yup."

"A-and you can fly?!"

"Looks like it."

"...Hhhow did I not even notice?? I-I-I'm like a really huggy guy!"

"I honestly have no idea how I managed that for as long as I did..."

"And you weren't sent here to kill me, right?"

"Nope."

"Oh... C-can you put me down?"

"On it. My wings are too tired to keep us up much longer anyways." You hurried your descent. Hero's heart jumped and he latched onto you, trembling all the way. "Get ready for the winged guy... He's not far behind." You growled. Even after so long spent flying around in the air, that Raven was still trailing close behind.

"Al-alright.."

You both landed harshly, dropping and rolling. After gaining a few fun little bruises and cuts, you stood up and brushed off your pajama pants. Thank God almighty that you didn't crack your wing a second time! Both of them were now terribly sore and cramping up, but alright enough not to cry about.

You scanned the empty field of rock for your husband, finding him cowering a little a distance away. When you turned suddenly toward him, his entire body flinched. You couldn't help but smile though and sigh.

"Heh... Looks like ...we're both a little scared of each other, then."

"-Why didn't you tell--... Nevermind.. That is a stupid question." Hero's gaze shifted to the gravel floor. "I...guess I have nothing but admiration for you, then." He breathed. "I doubt any other Falk could suffer me as long as you have...knowing what I've done and all... Even if this were all a plot to kill me.. I can't imagine it being easy."

"It was no plot." You answered firmly. Standing a little taller. You tucked your wings behind your back, looser this time so they could at last relax. "I came here by mere accident, happened to catch your eye by no fault of my own, and stumbled into your arms... It was as though fate itself decided it would be entertaining to bring us together... And I swear to you, that is the truth. I have no reason to lie to you. Not right now, anyway." Hero glanced at you with rounded eyes. His softened expression tightened up again after only a couple seconds, and again his attention returned to the ground.

"...I thank you... And, I believe you...

...What now..?

I mean- not to sound rude, but I can hardly stand the sight of you... Your wings, I mean... Call me racist if you wish, but I can no longer see you as the same woman I married..." There was clear pain in his voice. Tears pricked through his eyes. "...Help me please. I- I don't want to see you in this way!" His voice cracked. Defeated, the king's hands flew up to grip at his own face. He wiped away tears and held his cheeks in place. His knees bent more as a series of sobs shook his body. "...I just want the same woman I fell in love with... no wings attached..." The inner turmoil was obvious. He was terrified but didn't want to be...