Part 23: Wings of Steel

(Welp... I thought I had died again but APPARENTLY NOT?!?!?)

-

After a relaxing first half of the day to contrast the hectic night, both of you were ready to stretch your legs and get moving.

You walked the halls, following Hero with Charles held to your chest. The excitement grew with each step, knowing you were at last headed toward the library.

Herobrine pushed open two large doors, revealing a grand library. It wasn'g quite as large as a house or anything, but it certainly was large. Each of the four tall walls were covered in books, many of them old and wearing.

"I haven't made this room much of a priority here lately, so apologies ahead of time for the dust." Hero said as he led you in. Charles wiggled to be let down, so you set the kitten on the ground. The ginger happily pranced into the room with you, immediately stopping to play with a feathered pen.

"Heyy," You smiled down at the little kitty. "Get your paws off that." You crouched down and gently slid the feather from his gripping claws.

"No no, it's fine. The ink probably dried up in that one anyways. I haven't written any letters in quite some time." Your head rose up to the desk the pen had likely fallen from. It was a neat, dark brown wood, glossy under the thin layer of dust. The only source of light in the room was a tall, arched window which stretched from the near bottom of the room to the near top. Through the cloudy sky outside came the perfect amount of light to illuminate the entire room without any lamps. Herobrine turned to the large filing cabinet by the door and searched that while you wandered around the sheer amount of books. Though the room wasn't all too big width-wise, BOY was it tall! Wait, was this one of the castle's towers??

"Aha, here it is." Herobrie grabbed a file and strode across the room, placing it on the empty wooden desk to open up. You scurried over to the library door to shut it before Charles could escape, then back to the desk where the king stood over the desk sorting all the fine letters he had. "I numbered them after she passed." He spoke. The pages were looking a little old for only being a couple hundred years... Probably because the humans, even back then, liked to use much cheaper paper which didn't last as long. Mindful of the wear, Herobrine held each page with such delicacy that even you were oddly jealous.

"I'm a pretty fast reader, so do you want me to just read it myself or..?" You leaned over the desk as well, curiosity and impatience obvious. Herobrine chuckled.

"You're allowed to read it however you like. I'll be over here with Charles and a couple books I have yet to finish." Hero stepped away from the desk, leaving on it a dozen or so pages now in perfect order. The print was small and refined; very pretty looking. You carefully picked up the first page and sat down in an old leather chair with it.

"I guess you can..um...be over there." Your eyes crossed the room, where Hero just then sat down next to a could discarded books. You lifted the paper and began to read.

No background noise except for the other's breathing and the occasional spazzing kitten noises. It got a little awkward, even. You would feel really bad for something as simple as clearing your throat, only to hear the noise bounce off every surface in the room. You assumed it was the same for your husband, since he was rather stiff for someone supposedly relaxing with his back against a bookshelf. Occasionally, you'd hear the flip of paper from him. And from time to time you'd have to stand up and swap out one letter for another. Awkward as it was...it also sorta wasn't. Reminded you a lot of the really slow times in the day when it'd just be you and Joa sitting around the house doing your own things. And just like with those times, you adjusted to the slower pace of things and instead filled the silence with the occasional comment as you read.