xv. the normal banter

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
vol i — bloody fjerdans!

"CLAW EACH OTHER TO DEATH?" "No wonder you do so badly at the tables

"No wonder you do so badly at the tables."

Jesper steered her toward the rail, where they could make an approximation of a promenade without getting in anyone's way. "I'd threaten to toss you into the sea, but Kaz is watching." Dinara nodded her head, yet she didn't look towards him. She noticed Jesper waving towards the man, chuckling to herself, knowing that his face didn't change. "Would it kill him to smile once in a while?"

"Very possibly." Despite every crew member called greetings and well wishes, Dinara was growing tired of everyone. Her social battery was running low, making her want to run and hide in a dark corner.

Matthias walked over, giving Dinara an awkward bow. She stifled a laugh at the sight. "I understand you're the reason we made it out of the harbor alive."

"I suspect there were a lot of reasons."
"I'm a reason."

"All the same," said Matthias, ignoring him. "Thank you." He sounded sincere, which surprised Dinara, but she offered the muscular boy a small smile. He returned the gesture before stalking off somewhere, presumably to brood over Nina.

They moved on, Jesper catching wind of the small smile playing on the pale pink, chapped lips of Dinara. "Surprised," he asked.

"A bit. Spending so much time with Kaz. I guess—"
"It's a novelty to feel appreciated."

Dinara let out a small laugh, pressing her hand to her cheeks after. The pain was shooting through her, stinging her muscles. "Still hurts to laugh."

"They're glad your alive. I'm glad."
"I should hope so. You think I enjoy covering your ass all the time?"
"I thank you for it."
"Anytime, love."

When they reached the foredeck, Dinara leaned over the railing and look out at the horizon. "Did he come to see me at all."

Dinara could tell Jesper knew who she was referring too by the look on his face. "Every day."

Dinara turned her dark eyes on him, scanning his face, she shook her head. "Don't tell me shit lies. You can't read people and you can't bluff."

Jesper sighed. "No," he admitted. Dinara ignored the pain that shot through her chest at that. She had some thoughts over what it could be, but never did anything about it, due to her fear of ruining everything. "I don't think he likes sickbeds."

"Who does?"

"I mean, I think it was hard for him to be around you that way. That first day when you were hurt...he went a little crazy." Her brow cocked at Kaz going crazy. Sure, everyone was a bit wonky in the head, but for him to go crazy is out of character.