xxiii. nina's choice

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
vol i — bloody fjerdan!

"WHAT IS THIS? YOU NEVER SAID —" "They must have changed the deployment procedure

"They must have changed the deployment procedure."
"Everything else was the same."
"I've never seen Black Protocol—"

Dinara snapped her head towards Matthias, cutting off his words. "You have never seen it?!" Her voice raised an octave, her shock being shown to everyone else. It was a funny scene — Matthias being taken aback by her tone and Dinara standing there with her arms spread out at her sides, shock radiating off her body. As Matthias went to respond, a loud voice cut over them, speaking in Fjerdan, Ravkan, Kerch and Shu. He was instructing them to release the prisoner and to step away from the tank, wanting them to walk into capture. Nina took Dinara's attention away from the direction of the voice to the sight of an emancipated prisoner. He was being led through the rows of soldiers, his matted hair trying to blow with the steady breeze, the ragged red kefta standing out to Dinara. He was a Heartrender. His lips were moving at a fast pace, begging for something. Parem.

"A Heartrender."
"But he's so far away."
"Won't matter."

"I can see the Ferolind." Dinara followed where Inej was pointing, able to make out the Kerch flag and cherry Haanraadt Bay pennant flying beneath it, it was so close, yet so far. She thought through all of the possible ways to get out of this situation, but none of them had a way to get out alive. It was a dreadful position, one that she wasn't sure that she could make out alive — at least she would go out fighting. Small tears tugged at the corners of her eyes, blinking them back furiously, refusing to cry in front of the others, mostly Kaz.

"I didn't see this coming." He shook his head, dread seeping into his tone. "You told me one day I'd run out of tricks, Helvar. Looks like you are right." His words for Matthias, but he was looking at Dinara. Their eyes met, unable to tear away, drowning in the pits of what could have been.

"Then let's go down with a fight," Dinara spoke, words falling off her tongue, unable to process everything. "I'd hate to get blood on this dress, but it seems to be ruined already." Inej and Nina let out a chuckle at words, grateful that she was trying to rid the situation of tension.

"It's the best way to go out."
"Then we agree. We end this here."
"No."
"You don't understand. A single dose—"

"I understand." Dinara couldn't understand what was going on until Kuwei produced a small leather pouch from his pocket. She didn't understand why Nina would think she would have to do this, when she didn't. They all agreed to go out fighting, and Nina is willing to put her life on the line so the others can get out safely.

"No!"
"Nina, don't be stupid. You've seen—"
"Some people don't get addicted after the first dose."
"Nina, don't be a complete idiot. I don't want to lose you to a drug!"
"Kaz is out of tricks. But I'm not."

Dinara watched as she opened the small pouch, words dying in her tongue. Matthias continued to voice his protests, Dinara tuning them out, not wanting to hear the crack in the Fjerdan's voice. Nina tossed her head back, pouring the parem into her mouth. She watched as Nina stepped in front of the tank, going for the Heartrender immediately, who crumpled at the flick of her wrist. She disarmed all of the soldiers, leaving them to be limp piles, lined up perfectly on the ground. Dinara jumped off the tank to the best of her ability, not wanting to end up on the ground, and stood in stunned silence. She glanced back at the rest of the Crows, making sure they were seeing the same thing she was. Nina stood there, chest heaving, pupils dilated, watching the fallen soldiers. When they reached her, Matthias took her arm, leading her through the mess she made, while the others followed. Dinara walked as if she was in a trance, her eyes tracing over each of the soldiers under her feet, taking in their facial expressions — calm and stony.

They were out cold — she figured that out after she tripped on a few — allowing them to walk through without any issues. They reached the deserted docks, thankful to be getting out of there. Specht yelled out Matthias' name, causing the Fjerdan to turn around, right into the line of fire. Brum and the drüskelle were standing there, ready to attack their once ally, but Nina was having none of that. The parem still racing through her blood, giving her a chance to save her boy, willing to do anything for him. Dinara knew that feeling, glancing over to Kaz for the smallest moment, turning away when their eyes met. A shot rang out, making Dinara glance at her boy, wanting to make sure he was still alive and breathing. He was, making her turn back to the sight in front of her — there Nina was, walking foreword, ignoring the bullets that pierced through her skin.

Unconsciously, Dinara had inched her way closer to Kaz, her face ghost white at the sight of her friend being shot at consistently. He wished he could have done something to comfort the girl, whisper comforting words, something. Contrary to his thoughts, he stood there, still as a wall, fighting every single urge his brain put in his head. He knew what every single one of those thoughts meant, ignoring every single one of them, not wanting to scare her off, wanting her to be with him every moment. He was truly a love sick puppy, trailing after her in the smallest ways possible, tracing every move she made, making sure she had every dress she wanted. She made any small movement and his eyes were drawn to her figure. The way she moved was entrancing, unable to tear his eyes away, he stood there, watching everything, learning anything new about her.

Kaz knew how to read her like a book, spending so much time staring at someone gives you the power, allowing him to take control of any situation based on her body language. Her emotions were usually right, saving him a lot of trouble. He didn't know what she was planning to do with her kruge, wishing that she would stay with him in Ketterdam, building up the Dreg's reputation everyday, making them utterly untouchable.As Dinara glanced back at the scene she saw Matthias calming down Nina, who was torturing Brum on the ground, making him pay for all of the crimes he committed against Grisha. Nina allowed Brum to live, climbing aboard their ship, allowing Specht to shout commands to leave the harbor. The chimes of the Elderclock become more distant with every minute, finally falling silent on the ears of those on the schooner. They were headed home.