xxxii. always about money

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
vol ii — home turf

EVERYONE WAS STILL running on the high of their mission from the night, Dinara wanting nothing more than to curl up into a hall and sleep for days

EVERYONE WAS STILL running on the high of their mission from the night, Dinara wanting nothing more than to curl up into a hall and sleep for days. "Guess what we saw on our way out of the Lid?

"Two Shu warships sitting in the harbor."
"I was going to make them guess."
"Shu?"
"Cannons out, red flags flying."

Kaz looked up at the group, "I talked to Specht earlier. The embassies are full up with diplomats and soldiers. Zemeni, Kaelish, Ravkan."

Jesper looked at the leader startled, his mind racing with the reason that they were here in Ketterdam. "You think they know about Kuwei?"

"I think they know about parem. Rumors, at least. And there were plenty of interested parties at the Ice Court to pick up gossip about Kuwei's... liberation. The Fjerdan's are here too. They've got a whole contingent of drüskelle with them," Kaz said to Matthias, the blonde haired boy scrunching his nose up.

"Isn't it nice to be wanted?" Jesper asked Kuwei, nudging his shoulder with the boys, trying to get a positive reaction out of him.

"This is good for us. The Shu and the Fjerdan's don't know where to start looking for Kuwei, and all those diploids making trouble at the Stadhall are going to create some nice noise to distract Van Eck," Kaz said. He was stroking his crow head on the top of his cane, the plan coming together seamlessly in his mind.

"What happened at Smeet's office? Did you find out where Van Eck is keeping her?" Nina asked, sitting at the edge of her seat, clinging onto the hope that the other girl that made up their trio would be found safely and alive.

"I have a pretty good idea. We strike at midnight."
"Is that enough time to prepare?"

"It's all the time we have," Dinara said gloomily, not happy that they were going to have to be rushed in order to have a rescue mission happen.
"How's the weevil coming along, love?"

"The weevil," Jesper asked. His interest was piqued and he needed to know exactly what this mysterious weevil was.

Wylan removed a small vial from his pocket, catching the attention of the Fjerdan, who peered down at the object, his eyebrows knitted. "That's a weevil?"

Wylan let out a small laugh, trying to contain the blush that was wanting to spread onto his cheeks due to all the attention. "Not a real weevil. It's a chemical weevil. It doesn't really have a name yet."

"You've got to give it a name. How else are you going to call it for dinner?" Jesper asked cheekily, only narrowly dodging the heel that was headed for his head at alarming speed ( courtesy of Dinara ).