xxxvi. the fahey trouble

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
vol ii — home turf

NO ONE KNEW what to do as Nina and Wylan continued to lie their asses off to Colm Fahey, wanting to protect the reputation of their friend

NO ONE KNEW what to do as Nina and Wylan continued to lie their asses off to Colm Fahey, wanting to protect the reputation of their friend. "Yes! A gunsmith! And then I...I told him about a deal—" Wylan said.

"They were swindled," Kaz said, jumping in on the lie. "They were offered a business opoertunitu that seemed too good to be true."

"If it seems that way, then—"
"It probably is."
"Did you and your brother lose everything?"
"My brother?"
"Yes, your twin brother."
"They lost everything, brother hasn't talked since."

Colm nodded his head in agreement, thinking about the way that these poor boys got into a bad deal and ended being broke. "Does seem the quiet type. Are you all...students?"

"Of a sort," Kaz said, poking Dinara with his cane when he saw her open her mouth to say something that he knew wasn't going to be what the man wanted to hear. "Shut up, love," Kaz whispered to her.

"Who spend your free hours in a graveyard? Can we not go to the authorities? Tell them what happened? These swindlers may have other victims."

"Well—"
"The authorities can't help you. Not here."
"Why not?"

"Because the last here is profit. Jesper and Wylan tried to take a shortcut. The standwatch won't do much as wipe their tears. Sometimes, the only way to get justice is to take it for yourself," Dinara said, a small sigh escaping her lips.

"And that's where you come in."
"We will get the money and save your farm."

"But your going to step outside the law to do it."
"Exactly."
"You barley look old enough to graduate."

"Ketterdam was my education. And I can tell you this: Jesper never would have tuned to me for help if her anywhere else to go."

"You can't be so bad, boy. storu haven't been alive long enough to rack up your share of sin."

"I'm a quick study."
"That he is."
"Can I trust you?"
"No."
"Can I trust you to help Jesper?"
"Yes."
"You make me feel old."
"Spend more time here. You'll feel ancient."
"I should hope so. Thank you for marking it."

"It's not a compliment, Da," Jesper said, shaking his head at his fathers innocence. "And I know that look, Kaz. Don't you dare start those wheels spinning."

Dinara stepped in front of Kaz, her eyes boring into his, causing Colm to whisper to Jesper, "Are they dating?"

"Nope, sadly," Nina replied, her nose scrunched up. "We are all hoping soon enough though, I have money on it."

"Too late, Jesper. Wheels have been moving for about five minutes now," Dinara said, stepping off to the side. She had tried to move far enough away, but Kaz caught the edge of her coat, keeping her close to him.

"Where are you staying?"
"The Ostrich."

"It isn't safe to go back there. We're moving you to the Geldrenner Hotel. We'll register you under a different name," Kaz said, not even nothing to check to see if his plan was okay.

"But what?" Mister Fahey questioned, more like sputtered really. He was getting tired of being told what he could and when he should do it. He was a grown man for Saints sake!

"Because some people want Jesper dead, and they already used you to lure him out of hiding once. I have no doubt they'd be willing to try to take you hostage, and there's too much of that going around already." He scribbled on a piece of paper and handed it to Rotty, along with a thick stack of kruge. "Feel free ti take your meals in the dining room, Mister Fahey, but I'd ask that you forgo the sights and stay inside the hotel until we contact you. If anyone asks your business, you're here for a bit of rest and relaxation."

"No, I thank you, but this is a mistake. We'll find another way to pay the debt. Or we'll start over somewhere else," Colm said, staring at his son for his approval, but Jesper only moved his eyes away.

"Sorry, Mister Fahey, but there really is no other way. Ketterdam will spit you up after it's through witn you, but the Barrel will only keep chewing, even after your sanity is long gone," Dinara said, a glint in her eyes that Colm knew wasn't anything good. He had gotten the sense that she was a bit mad, and he was starting to see that the boy next to her was just as insane.

"You're not giving up the farm. We can't leave her."
"Jes—"

"Please, Da. Please let me make this right. I know— I know I let you down. Just give me one more chance," Jesper pleaded, his eyes growing glassy.

"We don't belong here, Jes. This place is too loud, too lawless. Nothing makes sense," Colm said, pointing his finger at his son, letting him know that the chances he would be allowed to stay were slim.

"Mister Fahey, you know what they say about walking in a cow pasture?" Kaz asked, a childish glint swirling in his eyes that had Dinara wondering what he knew about farms.

"Keep your head down and watch your step," Mister Fahey replied, a small grin spreading on his face as he thought back to the farm he had left behind.

"Just think of Ketterdam as a really big cow pasture. Give us three days to get your money and get you and your son out of Kerch safely."

"Is that really possible?"
"That thought doesn't fill me with confidence."
"Da?"

"Three days, Jesper," Colm said, pointing his finger at the boy with a stern expression on his face. "Then we go home. With or without the money. And for Saints' sake, be careful. All of you." He stood up, heading for the door, carefully saying his goodbyes to Jesper and the rest of the gang.

"I should go with him."
"You already almost got him killed once."
"Do we know who set up the ambush?"
"Your father went to the standwatch."
"Lots of those guards accept bribes."

"True," Nina said with a thoughtful glance. It was obvious that she was thinking about all the ways they could be fucked over in the Barrel. "But it can't be coincidence that the bank called in his loan when they did."

"If the banks are involved, so is my father."
"Oh goody."
"Pekka Rollins has influence on them as well."
"Could they be working together."
"Let's hope not. That could be deadly."

"I'm not ruling anything out," Kaz said. "But none of this changes what had to happen tonight. Here." He looked towards Jesper, pulling out two revolvers that belonged to the boy, handing them over.

"My revolvers." He reached for them, pressing a quick kiss to each of them. "Welcome back, my babies. You got them back!"

"The safe at Cumulus is an easy crack."
"Thank you, Kaz, thank you."

"What good is a shooter without his guns? You've been in the red too long. We all have. This is the night we start paying our debt," Kaz explained, ignoring the way Jespers smile fell.

the good stuff is coming, i promise