xxxix. safety

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
vol ii — home turf

DINARA REACHED INTO her pants, pulling out the knives that she kept there for moments like this

DINARA REACHED INTO her pants, pulling out the knives that she kept there for moments like this. Her gun wasn't needed at the moment, plus she didn't want to cause any more commotion than what was happening. Inej grabbed her own knives, heading off in the direction that Kaz pointed, putting her skills to use after so long. When the first sign of fireworks went off, that meant the plan was starting and everything was going to plan. Kaz pulled out a loop of climbing line from his pocket, which didn't surprise Dinara, the boy had everything they could ever need. He hauled himself over the canal, Dinara following without a second guess, taking a running start and leaping over without so much as stumbling when she landed.

It felt good to be back to causing all sorts of trouble and she was waiting for the moment she could end up using her knives to spill some blood. The fireworks were causing the tourists to think that it was some sort of celebration and not an attack that was being launched at the standwatch. They managed to get to the clothes that Matthias had stashed for them, allowing them to put them on swiftly, making sure that they would blend in with the crowd. Dinara put the red cape around her shoulders, while Inej paused, the falling flowers causing a small smile to appear on her face.

"What?"
"Those were my mother's favorite flowers."
"Good to know you weren't stripped of sentiment."
"Nice to be back, Kaz."
"Good to have you back, Wraith."
"Ready?"
"Wait. Now."

They grabbed the cord that Kaz had managed to loop around something, giving it a hard tug, which yanked them up at such speed Dinara thought she was going to lose the mask that was on her head. West Stave was in chaos, Mister Crimsons everywhere, tossing coins into the air as everyone pushed and shoved trying to get them. No one noticed the standwatch officers trying to push past them and get to the criminals that had runaway, unbeknownst to them who were watching from behind those very masks in the crowd. Dinara let out a laugh that startled Kaz, it sounded carefree and happy, which he had never heard before, meaning that she was having the time of her life in the chaos. A large book shook the Stave, brought people to the floor and almost took Kaz with them, but he managed to catch himself, making sure that Dinara didn't fall.

Dinara's ears were ringing and the thick smoke that hung in the city managed to make everything more difficult. People were running through the crowds, blood dripping down from their hands that were covering their ears, this wasn't the plan. They had planned a friendly riot, one that was meant to help them escape, not some sort of attack on the people that were there. Everything was falling apart and Dinara was starting to worry, this whole thing was going to shit and she didn't know if they would be able to fix it. Dinara signaled to Kaz that they needed to get Inej out of there, too much time had been spent getting her back and they weren't going to lose her again, not in the same way. Not again. They ran through the smoke, Dinara keeping the same pace as Kaz, making sure that she didn't lose him in the crowd.

Kaz had been right after all, Van Eck had managed to cause chaos on the Stave, leaving everything to hell, people injured and no one caring enough to do anything about it. Dinara's heart ached for each and every person she saw out there with some sort of injury, wishing that she could stop for even a second and help them. She was bloodthirsty, but only when it came to people who had done something wrong, no one should kill innocents in order to prove a point. It was crossing a line. The trio managed to ditch their capes and masks in a run down brothel, where they changed into different clothes. Dinara was thankful that Kaz had managed to snag her jay and place it in the bag, her hands throwing it on top of her head, the hat angling ever so slightly.

They were dressed as dockworkers, making sure that they would be able to blend into the crowd and not be noticed by anyone who may want to cause them any type of harm. At this time of day, the dock was usually empty, except the occasional worker who was coming from a ship to the warehouse, but there were men and women gathered around, the chaos grabbing their attention. They headed deeper into the warehouse section of the city, weaving their way through alleys and back ways, making sure that they kept their identities a secret. Everything was cleaner over here, seeing as they managed to keep everything in the best possible shape, not wanting anyone to get sick and not be able to work. They needed all the workers they could get.

Thankfully, they didn't have to continue to look over their shoulder as they got deeper into the district, it being the safest place they could possibly hide in. Van Eck would never find them here. Dinara looked at the abandoned warehouse that they were going to be entering, the windows broken, the lower floor having been covered in soot, leaving the brick black as night. She figured that the firehouse had been very recent, but she knew that it wouldn't remain unoccupied for long. Soon enough someone would purchase it and make it into something else, space being something was treasured in Ketterdam. Dinara was nervous that the stairs were going to cave in on them as they climbed up three flights.

The smell was disgusting as Dinara walked into the stock room Kaz had directed them towards, the burnt fabric causing her to scrunch her nose up in disgust. She felt like she could have puked, but she managed to swallow the feeling, not wanting to have to deal with the aftertaste of vomiting on the floor. She knew that this safe house was going to be the one where they were able to hide out the longest, passing Inej a tin that was full of supplies to get her strength up. Inej downed the water that was in the flask, not stopping to take a simple breath until it was empty, her throat craving more, but there simply not enough.

Kaz looked at the girl with amusement filling his eyes, knowing that he had never seen her like this. It was a funny sight, watching the Suli girl act with no restraints. "What did you say to Van Eck on the bridge? When we were making the trade?"

"You will see me once more, but only once."
"More Suli proverbs?"
"A promise to myself. And Van Eck."
"Saints, Inej. Fine line there."

"My Saints don't like bullies," Inej huffed out, blowing out the breath of air that was constricting her chest. "Those explosions, will the others be alright?"

"No one was stationed by where they went off, Inej. Well, not the ones we saw. We'll know more when we end up back at the tomb," Dinara said, wiping the window with her sleeve, peering out of it, trying to catch a view of what was going on down below.

"He didn't hurt me."
"Rest."
"Where are you two going?"
"Business near the silos."
"Getting information."
"You're not taking it?"

Kaz shook his head, propping his cane against one of the crates, signaling to Dinara that it was time to go. "Causes too much attention. Don't need Van Eck catching a glimpse at it. Rest, Inej, you need it."

just kaz and dinara going to cause chaos