xxxiv. a visitor

CHAPTER THIRY-FOUR
vol ii — home turf

A SOFT SCRAPING noise sounded from outside, making the Crows reach for their weapons, getting ready to make sure that their hideout stayed a secret

A SOFT SCRAPING noise sounded from outside, making the Crows reach for their weapons, getting ready to make sure that their hideout stayed a secret. A moment later, Rotty and Specht stepped through the door of the tomb, making everyone relax and place their weapons back to their rightful places. Dinara was thankful that it was only them, but she realized that she needed to make a secret knock for them to know who was who was there and not some weird person who had stumbled upon them.

"What business?"
"The Shu have set up their embassy."
"Everyone on the Lid is talking about it."
"Numbers?"

"Forty, give or take," Rotty said. "Heavily armed, but still operating under diplomatic flags. No one knows exactly what they want."

"We do," Jesper said, realizing that there were there for Kuwei and they weren't going to be leaving without him.

"I didn't get too near the Slat, but Per Haskell's antsy, and he's not being quiet about it. Without you around, work piling up for the old man. Now there are rumors you're back in the city and had a run-in with a merch. Oh, and there was some kind of attack at one of the harbors a few days ago. Bunch of sailors killed harbormaster's office turned into a pile of splinters, but no one knows details."

Kaz's expression darkened a little, which meant that he was extremely pissed off by the information that had been brought before him and he needed to know more about what was going on within his club. "All right. But no one's connected us to the raid at the Ice Court or parem."

"Not that I heard."
"Nope."
"That means Pekka Rollins hasn't talked."

"Give him time," Kaz breathed out. "He knows we have Kuwei stashed somewhere. The letting to Ravka will only keep him chasing his tail for so long."

"As long as it takes enough time for us to get everything we need to get done, done," Dinara said, her mind racing with all of the things that could happen once Pekka decided it was time to start talking. "'Till then, we do nothing but stick to the plan and hope everything works out."

"Has anyone noticed this whole city is looking for us, mad at us, or wants to kill us?" Jesper asked. He was anxiously tapping his fingers against his thighs, too busy thinking about all the ways he could end up getting busted by doing something without thinking first.

"So?"
"Well, usually it's just have the city."
"Fair point."
"There's more. Matthias, you're dead."
"Pardon?"
"You were shanked in the Hellgate infirmary."
"Muzzen?"
"He took your place in Hellgate."
"So you could go to the Ice Court."
"I thought you said you had a contact there?"
"To keep him sick, not safe. This was a hit."
"The Fjerdan's."
"That's not possible."