xxix. what now

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
vol i — bloody fjerdans!

THE WALK BACK to the tomb was treacherous, Kaz's leg hurt, the stabbing pain growing stronger with each step

THE WALK BACK to the tomb was treacherous, Kaz's leg hurt, the stabbing pain growing stronger with each step. He was determined to push through it to get Dinara back to safety. The smell of Ketterdam burned his nose — in a good way of course — a feeling of home seeping into his stomach. Being back in Ketterdam usually meant that he was back on top, but in this instance, Kaz had to work his way back up. The determination to do just that was a constant chant in his mind, doing everything to push away that his Shadow was in his arms. When he pushed into the tomb, Nina and Kuwei were waiting, their heads snapping up at the commotion. Kaz let a silent grunt escape his lips, a silent signal to Kuwei to help him with Dinara.
Kuwei knew better than to ask questions, his frail body rushing to the med kit to try and save her. Kaz laid her body down on the worn table in the room, taking a step back from her body — a body that looked lifeless. His mind was racing of all the ways he would be lost without Dinara at his side, hoping that none of it would come true.

He had gotten her into this mess and now he was going to have to distance himself from her to make up for it. Clearly, it wasn't a logical plan at all, but it was to Kaz. His brain worked in different ways, that much was clear, so he remained a mystery as to why he did the things he did. He couldn't stand the sight of her lying on that table, motionless, so he took off to the darkest corner, trying to tame the demons in his head. Kaz kept an eye on Dinara from his brooding corner, making sure Nina didn't kill his girl. Nina would never have killed Dinara, well not on purpose, so she was doing everything to make sure her best friend was going to make it. The extent of the wounds made Nina want to throw up, but she had to put on a strong facade.
The first thing Dinara noticed when she opened her eyes was that she was definitely not in the Crow Club, actually, she didn't know where the hell she was.

She had noticed Nina sitting in the corner with a sour look on her face, the girl not know what to do about the situation they had found themselves in. Dinara had been hurt again and Nina was cursing every Saint she could think of, wondering why they would chose the girl each and every time. She figured that Dinara wouldn't get lucky one time and end up getting herself killed, a problem that Kaz would end up blowing out of proportion. It wouldn't be fun for anyone in Ketterdam, Kaz going in a rampage, burning every building to the ground in revenge. Dinara had managed to worm her way into his heart, unknowingly, making her his weakness.

Dinara let out a groan, catching the attention of the rest of the group. She sent them all a weak smile, walking over towards the table that was falling apart. "What day is it?"

Kuwei pushed a glass of water towards the girl with his pointer and middle finger. "Tuesday. You've been out cold for two days."

Nina let out a wary sigh, her eyes raking Dinara's figure, wanting to make sure the girl didn't pass out in front of her. "I got to say, do you have a target in you back? You always seem be dying in every situation we get into."

"What can I say? It's a talent that only I possess," Dinara said letting out a chuckle. She had time to scan the rest of the room, trying to find Kaz, only to see that he wasn't there. "Where's the boss man?"

Jesper lifted his head, still upset about what had happened, knowing that it could have been because he ran his mouth and now they had lost Inej. "In the back room. I'm assuming he's off planning Inej's great escape."

She nodded her head in thanks, heading towards the back, knowing that she wanted to talk to him about what happened, about what was next in their plan. Her feet padded across the creaking wood of the tomb, holes in the floor made her have to look down when she walked. Dinara knew that the Crow Club was out of the picture, everyone in the city would be looking for them, the bounty on their head was motivation enough. She found the door where Kaz was hiding, the candle giving off a dim light, flowing up the dark walls, stained with things she didn't want to know. Dinara didn't bother to knock, pushing the door open and walking in, sitting in the chair that was in rough shape, placing her boot clad feet up on the desk Kaz sat at.

"Di, get your feet off the table," Kaz said, not looking up from the papers that lined his desk. His fingers were nimbly turning the pages, gloves off to the side.

She tilted her head at the sight, watching as his fingers worked, not understanding why he didn't have his gloves on. "Nope. Why aren't the gloves on? You feel very naked right now."

Kaz let out a chortle, looking up to meet her dark eyes, getting lost in them for a second. They were his favorite color, brown that had a tint of green around the edges that showed up when light hit them. "I knew you would be the only one brave enough to venture in here. I'm plotting so what do you want?"

"Nothing, just wanted to come annoy you," Dinara said, sending the boy a sly wink. She really just wanted to be in his presence, knowing that he brought comfort to her and that was all she wanted in the moment. "Plus, I'm hurt and here I thought you would be my bedside, confessing your everlasting love for me and waiting for my eyes to open." 

Kaz let a smirk cross over his face, leaning over the desk closer to the girl, making her breath catch in her throat. "I would have, but there was too many people around. Nina was constantly in the same room. Now it wouldn't be much of a secret if she heard me, would it?"

"I guess, secrets are fun aren't they?" she asked, leaning forward, deciding to play into his game. "And from what you're saying, you'd want to be something with me in secret?"

He tilted his head, thinking over his next words, not wanting to come across too strong. "Di, you know I can't. There are too many problems to deal with now and I can't have anything mess up the plans I have.."

Dinara leaned back, done with the words he was saying. "Kaz, I get that you want to take back what you have lost and get your revenge, but now you're just being plain stupid. But, if you can't do this, then I'll wait, but don't expect me to be around forever."

She got up out of the chair, the legs scraping across the floor, her feet walking her towards the door. Kaz didn't even get a word out, as she was long gone before he could think of anything to say. His head slammed against the table, knowing that he may have just fucked up everything that meant the world to him. He didn't know how he was going to fix it, not dress or expensive jewelry was going to work this time, he needed to open up and allow her to deal with the problems he had. Kaz leaned back in his chair, thinking a moment before going back to his plan to get Inej back, knowing that he had to do that before he could do anything. Fuck, his priories were messed up and he knew that, but that was the way he worked.

well we have finally reached the end of act one after almost a year!! go me!!