Chapter 1: The Start of a New Journey

The forest was peaceful this early in the morning. The sun just peeking over the horizon, throwing an array of colours and light sprawling across the sky. The cool, morning air left a light blanket of frost over the damp grass, causing each foot step to make a gentle crunching sound.

Aliyah and Sylvia slowly paced through the woodland shrubbery, the canopy moist from the night's frost. Droplets of water slowly trickled down leaves and fell to the ground, like hands guiding it gently back to down to the earth.

Their hands were interlocked as they walked, fingers intertwined and connecting them to one another. Small tingles radiated up and down Sylvia's arm, just from Aliyah's touch.

"We should probably get back," Sylvia sighed, smiling up at Aliyah. It had been a week since their battle, however both were recovering rapidly. Sylvia's nose, unfortunately, was still quite beaten and bruised. Despite Aliyah's persistent assurances, she knew it would be permanently curved.

"Maybe just a few more minutes?" Aliyah prompted, earning a gentle punch on the arm from Sylvia. They continued on their morning walk. It had become a ritual for them, a way to regain a sense of normality and routine after the long journey they had been through. Yet, they both knew they had a fair ways to go still.

"What is New Nortia like?" Aliyah asked, cocking their head to the side. Sylvia pondered for a moment, thinking of the best way to sum up the giant, behemoth city of humans.

"I don't think you would like it," she concluded. The group were due to leave Dirella's home, bound for New Nortia to begin peace talks with the King. This is all unbeknownst to the King, however Dirella had a trick up her sleeve in order to gain an audience with him.

"It's crowded, smelly, very little greenery," Sylvia added, to which Aliyah furrowed their brows. As an elf, they felt most at home in nature surrounded by the trees. A concrete city was the last place they wanted to go. In fact, elves never even left the relative comfort of their own home, with Aliyah being the first to leave.

"Have you finished packing?" Aliyah asked, changing the topic. They were drawing closer to Dirella's house, the large mountain looming over them. As the sun rose, the light crept just a little further down the mountain side, illuminating the craggy outcrops.

"Pretty much, but how can you be prepared for a journey we don't know how long will take?" Sylvia asked. Their task was simple, in theory. In reality, the group had no clue how they would unite the races. As such, it was a bit hard to make a definitive timeline.

"God DAMN it!" The pair heard from within Dirella's house. They exchanged a knowing look, before running over towards the cottage. On the way, they passed the small stables which housed the group's horses. Porche gave a soft whinny as she saw Sylvia. Aliyah's white elk too was there, but was not the talkative type.

The pair bound in the door, which opened to the large living and dining area. Dirella was on the couch, her head in her hands. It had been her who had yelled out.

"What's wrong?" Sylvia asked, flustered. Aliyah and herself had dropped hands to run, and she was feeling the cold emptiness where it had once been warm, whole.

"He's a stubborn crone, that's what," Dirella grumbled, face still in hands.

"Did he kick you out again? He must have a strong will," Aliyah offered. Dirella looked up, shooting Aliyah a stern glare. For the past week Dirella had been attempting to reach out into the dreams of the human King. So far, she had no such luck.

"He doesn't have a strong will, he's a limped di-"

"Will you all keep it down?!" A croaky voice called from above. The three looked up, to find Darian, the final member of the group, leaning over the bannister of the top floor. His hair was dishevelled, eyes puffy from sleep. He never was a morning person.

"We need to leave soon anyway, get your ass dressed and down here," Sylvia snapped back. Darian simply grunted in reply, before retreating back into the bedroom to change.

"Apologies again, for not being able to just teleport us to New Nortia," Dirella offered weakly as she got up from the couch. Sylvia smiled in return, trying her best to be positive. She understood the toll magic had on the user, all too well. The last time she had used her own blood magic left her practically bed bound for days.

"I prefer the old fashioned way, myself," Aliyah said.

The group finished packing the last few items, mainly cans of food, coffee, and the handful of jerky to last them the journey to New Nortia. Dirella, Aliyah and Sylvia made their way out to the stables to prepare the horses.

"Hey Porche girl, you've been bored haven't ya?" Sylvia cooed, patting the chestnut mare lovingly. Porche grunted, striking her front hoof down on the ground twice. She had been very bored indeed, and was in need of a good ride.

"She's a strong horse, you're very lucky to have someone so loyal," Dirella said, strolling over towards Sylvia. Dirella patted the horse, allowing her dark hands to slide down the mane, to the neck, to finally rest on Sylvia's saddle. While Sylvia was distracted, Dirella quickly slipped a small object into Sylvia's pack, before hurrying off.

Darian soon sauntered out of the house. He yawned loudly, stretching his arms up towards the sky. Always one to make an entrance. His hair had been preened to perfection, although his eyes were still puffy, and Sylvia wondered if he could even see anything through the tiny slits.

"So, I might not be a mathematical genius," Darian started, looking at the horses, "but I count one, two, three horses. And one, two, three, FOUR people."

"Very observant of you Darian, I will be riding with you," Dirella retorted. Darian looked shocked, almost offended, his mouth opening and snapped shut like a fish. He said nothing, however. He knew what Dirella was like angry, and he did not want to make her angry.

The group mounted up. The journey ahead of them would be long and arduous. They would face many challenges and trial, but in the end they had to be victorious.

The fate of Ammertia depended on it.

And there we go! Chapter One done! Make sure to like and comment, let me know what you think

What object do you think Dirella slipped in Sylvia's bag?

Do you think their journey will be a smooth one? Ha! Not if I have anything to do with it!